Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does nautilus suck so bad!?!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Why does nautilus suck so bad!?!

As you all know nautilus is the file manager for ubuntu/gnome as the title says, why doesn't nautilus have the ability to do a lot of simple things like format a flash drive, or rename a drive or even be able to show files in separate groups like dolphin and windows explorer. Thats just a few things, I bet if we all get together we can easily come up with a 101 things that nautilus should do but doesn't, seriously we shouldn't have to boot into windows just to rename a flash drive. I say we all send emails to nautilus development teams telling them to focus some of their attention on the file manager and make it worth using.

Beans

Re: Why does nautilus suck so bad!?!

Quote Originally Posted by wildman4god View Post
    As you all know nautilus is the file manager for ubuntu/gnome as the title says, why doesn't nautilus have the ability to do a lot of simple things like format a flash drive, or rename a drive or even be able to show files in separate groups like dolphin and windows explorer. Thats just a few things, I bet if we all get together we can easily come up with a 101 things that nautilus should do but doesn't, seriously we shouldn't have to boot into windows just to rename a flash drive. I say we all send emails to nautilus development teams telling them to focus some of their attention on the file manager and make it worth using.
    Use Dolphin fm, problem solved

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

But nautilus is a file manager, and I honestly think it manages files splendidly. If you want an all singing, all dancing application like konqueror in kde 3.5.9 etc, then you can still use it, or dolphin, but it takes a long time to load in comparison to nautlius, and, let's be honest, for the number of times anyone needs to format a partition, it is much easier to use some other application and not expect the file manager to do everything. And why boot into windows to rename a flash drive? Use tune2fs in ubuntu. I say keep it simple!

Beans

How about we make Firefox able to edit images, play music, and browse the web too? Does Firefox suck because it doesn't do all this?

There is a reason it doesn't do this. The GNOME team follows the philosophy "One app per job". This means that they aren't going to make Nautilus be a partition manager/editor as well as a file manager.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

I believe that is attributed to the UNIX philosophy that gnome seems to have adapted that an app should do one thing really well. I hear people say things like why doesn't rhythmbox play videos, or why doesn't firefox have a e-mail client. I like these apps the way they are, and wouldn't use them if they were all in one nightmares like songbird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well using a different app for renaming/formating a flash drive would be just fine except there is no app that I am aware of that'll do these things, also I thought that was the job of a file manager was to handle flash-drives, I have used windows most of my life, I have only used linux for a year and a half. But in windows you just found the drive in explorer and right click and select rename or format, that is a whole lot easier than using a separate program that doesn't exist. If gnome's philosophy keeps them from making programs easy to use then they need to re think their philosophy, some programs are meant to multi task, also like I said before formating removable media and renaming drives is the job of the file manager. at the very least provide a program to do these things and an extention/script that allows you to do it from the file manager.

Beans

Eh nautilus is just fine for me. It can't format or change the label, but GParted does that just fine.

Beans

Well using a different app for renaming/formating a flash drive would be just fine except there is no app that I am aware of that'll do these things, also I thought that was the job of a file manager was to handle flash-drives, I have used windows most of my life, I have only used linux for a year and a half. But in windows you just found the drive in explorer and right click and select rename or format, that is a whole lot easier than using a separate program that doesn't exist. If gnome's philosophy keeps them from making programs easy to use then they need to re think their philosophy, some programs are meant to multi task, also like I said before formating removable media and renaming drives is the job of the file manager. at the very least provide a program to do these things and an extention/script that allows you to do it from the file manager.
    Like init1 said, GParted will both label and partition your flash drive. Only problem is that you need to get a more recent version than is in Ubuntu 8.10.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by init1 View Post
    Eh nautilus is just fine for me. It can't format or change the label, but GParted does that just fine.
    to change the lable you need to reformat the drive, you shouldn't need to do that, do wonder normal people can't use linux, you have to stop thinking "can I use it fine" and start thinking "can non-techies use it" yes you mabey able to format from gparted and rename it then, but that involves installing another app and then getting familar with another program, and I have seen people on this forum that have a hard time figuing gparted out for the first time, there is nothing wrong with being able to right click a drive in your fm and format it and/or rename it, it would be very conviant to do it that way.

edit: okay I just figured out how to change lables in gparted, although the new lables don't show up in nautilus, but still the need to make it more convinant.
    Last edited by wildman4god; February 21st, 2009 at 01:58 AM.

Beans

also like I said before formating removable media and renaming drives is the job of the file manager.
    A file managers job is to manage files in a graphical environment. A flash drive is not a file, it's a drive. There are several apps than can rename a drive, and 2, or 3 have been listed in this thread already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast