Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does Synaptic work? Apt-Get or Aptitude?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

How does Synaptic work? Apt-Get or Aptitude?

I've been reading about the differences between apt-get install and aptitude install. I'm curious as to which method is used by Synaptic to install and uninstall programs. If I choose to uninstall xubuntu-desktop through Synaptic, which is how I installed it, will everything that came with it be removed as well?

Thanks,
    Craig

Beans

Re: How does Synaptic work? Apt-Get or Aptitude?

I don't know what it's based on but if you remove the xubuntu-desktop, only the meta-package itself will be removed.

Beans
    Hidden!

Synaptic runs on apt. Link: http://www.nongnu.org/synaptic/
    Another round of Ubuntu for my friends here!
    Fighting to bring Pink back to The Pink Ponies archive.
    DELETE INSANITY!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks!

So, will I have to run the commands here to remove all of xubuntu-desktop and its associations?: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome .

I just want to be sure that nothing I use in k/ubuntu will be affected. If it's recommended that I use these commands, is it necessary to include the last one:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    since I already have it?

Beans

Synaptic and aptitude are both front ends for apt.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CraigPaleo View Post
    Thanks!

So, will I have to run the commands here to remove all of xubuntu-desktop and its associations?: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome .

I just want to be sure that nothing I use in k/ubuntu will be affected. If it's recommended that I use these commands, is it necessary to include the last one:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    since I already have it?
    Yes, however, all the 3 metapackages (ubu,kubu,xubu) overlap, so you will have to not only use that last command but since you also want kubuntu, you'll also have to install kubuntu-desktop. So some packages will first get removed and then reinstalled. It's not going to be a problem unless you have installed manually newer versions of some packages or removed many packages. It's an unofficial guide so there's no guarantees.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    This is confusing. Everything I'd read was about differences in the commands, not front ends. I was wondering which back-end Synaptic used. Now you tell me that Aptitude is a front end to apt????

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by glotz View Post
    Yes, however, all the 3 metapackages (ubu,kubu,xubu) overlap, so you will have to not only use that last command but since you also want kubuntu, you'll also have to install kubuntu-desktop. So some packages will first get removed and then reinstalled. It's not going to be a problem unless you have installed manually newer versions of some packages or removed many packages. It's an unofficial guide so there's no guarantees.
    Ahhh! Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigPaleo View Post
    This is confusing. Everything I'd read was about differences in the commands, not front ends. I was wondering which back-end Synaptic used. Now you tell me that Aptitude is a front end to apt????
    Everything is built on top of dpkg (to the best of my knowledge). dpkg deals with .debs and not much else.

apt-get adds repositories to the mix, automatically downloaded packages from the Internet, before installing them with dpkg.

aptitude brings some more to the system. If you run it without arguments it's a complete ncurses package managar. Then you can also use it to do some higher-level operations, like automatically removing unused packages, the 'reinstall' command, etc.

Synaptic is just a graphical front-end.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    It just dawned on me that you might be thinking of Adept, which is used as a front end by Kubuntu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast