Thread: Adjusting the Vista MBR

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Adjusting the Vista MBR

How would i go about adjusting the Vista MBR so i would be able to boot into my Ubuntu partition?
    Thank you for the help in advance. Gotta love the community with Ubuntu, its what keeps me coming back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Adjusting the Vista MBR

When you install Ubuntu, Grub should be installed to the MBR and needs no modification.

Beans
    Distro

XP was having issues with getting my on board sound working so i went back to Vista but i am unsure how to adjust the boot loader there so it would include Ubuntu in the boot menu.
    Thank you for the help in advance. Gotta love the community with Ubuntu, its what keeps me coming back.

Beans

Is there any reason you don't want to use Grub in the MBR to boot all your OSes? That is usually easier than adding Grub to your Vista boot manager. If you want specific help, it would be good to get a clearer picture of your setup first, so how about downloading the Boot Info Script to your Ubuntu desktop (can be the Live CD):

https://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/

Then open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and do:
    Code:
    sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh
    That will create a "RESULTS.txt" file in the same directory from where the script is run, namely your desktop; please copy/paste the contents of the RESULTS.txt file to your next post, highlight the copied text, and click the pound/hash sign "#" graphic button in the Ubuntu forum message box so that the text will get "code" tags put around it. The results of that script will help clarify your setup.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you'd like to add ubuntu as an option during start up you could always install it via wubi if you do not wish to use GRUB. Alternatively you may find Supergrub a useful tool (see:http://www.supergrubdisk.org/).

Regards,
    Farsight

Beans
    Distro

I check that stuff out. Reading up on the super grub as i write this

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by caljohnsmith View Post
    Is there any reason you don't want to use Grub in the MBR to boot all your OSes?
    Its not that i dont want Grub to handle the booting, i am just not able to access my linux partition on windows at all. I tried the
    download from http://www.fs-driver.org/ but it doesn't seem to work.

Beans

I don't think that ext2ifs can handle the newer ext3 partitions, because Intrepid formats its ext3 partitions to now use a 256 byte inode size instead of 128 bytes which previous versions of Ubuntu used. So instead of using ext2ifs in Vista, I would give "ext2fsd" and try:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd

Let me know if that works OK or not.

Beans
    Distro

I am able to see the partition and able to see the individual files. So i assume that means that works

So now that i am able to see/adjust my ubuntu system from Vista would i be able to mess with the grub?