Thread: Internet on wine apps (Heroes 3)

Beans

Internet on wine apps (Heroes 3)

Hello, is there some settings you must change to give wine apps internet access? I'm trying to play heroes 3 by LAN with my littlebrother but it doesn't work. (local play works fine and i can play by LAN at my windows partition.

Beans

Re: Internet on wine apps (Heroes 3)

there is a heroes version for linux (loki soft)
    just try it out

Beans

But i don't wanna pay for it again! xD
    Still want an answer, i might wanna get my civilization playable over lan (if i succeed in installing it)

Beans

It's kinda dead too and almost impossible to get :-/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sorry to bring this back from the dead...but did you ever get this to work? I've tried adding the dll's files per the winedb page (link below), but it still won't work

Heroes III at WineDB

I'm just trying with the standard version (no expansion). Fully patched. I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 with all updates and I've tried both versions of wine in the repos (currently running wine-1.1.40)

Thanks (though I'm hardly expecting a resonse

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just an update for anyone that randomly finds this thread while searching...

I was able to get Heroes 3 TCP working by forwarding some ports on my router...however, the game doesn't seem to fully work. Single player seems to work fine (though I really haven't even tried it much). However, in multiplayer, the game randomly crashes within about 5 or 10 minutes. The only way I've been able to make it "always" crash is by trying to load a saved game (in single player, loading a saved game works fine).

Anyways, I've found another work around for the moment. I've gotten it to work in my windows xp 64bit VM (via VirtualBox). However, VirtualBox doesn't support 3D acceleration for 64bit windows (it does for 32bit windows with Virtualbox 3.0 if anyone didn't know - though it is still being test). Anyways, even though the game is old, it goes REALLY slow without that 3D support....