Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinux 1.31 - Ubuntu for the visually impaired!

Beans

Smile Vinux 1.4 - Ubuntu for the visually impaired!

I am happy to announce the release of Vinux 1.4!

NB: If you have any questions about Vinux please ask them on the Vinux Mailing list not
    here as while the moderators of this mailing list are prepared to tolerate occasional
    announcements about Orca related Linux releases it is not the right place to discuss
    these packages and/or distributions!

Vinux a free and open source operating system which has been optimised for visually impaired
    users. It is based on the popular Ubuntu Linux distribution and built around the Orca
    screen-reader/magnifier. It is designed to boot your computer, log you in automatically
    and then start up the Orca screen-reader with Braille support. Full-screen
    magnification can then be activated with a simple keystroke.

New Features for 1.4!

Security: Unlike previous versions Vinux 1.4 has been built from scratch
    using the Ubuntu 'mini.iso' 10MB network installation which means it
    contains all of the latest packages and security patches as of the day of
    release.

Audible Boot Prompt: The Live CD now sounds the system bell three times
    when the boot prompt appears on the screen, which then gives you thirty
    seconds to type in any cheatcodes or boot options you require.
    e.g. typing 'textonly' will boot into console only mode, you can then
    type 'yasr' to start a console based screen-reader.

Braille Displays: The Live CD now supports a wide variety of serial Braille
    displays in edition to the automatic detection of USB Braille displays.
    In order to use a serial Braille display or a USB Braille display with a
    different language table you simply have to type in a short code at the
    boot prompt. e.g. 'alde' for an Alva Serial display using the German
    language table, or 'alude' for an Alva USB display using the german
    language table. There are a full list of cheatcodes included in the
    'cheatcodes_braille_displays.txt' on the CD. By default Vinux supports
    USB Braille displays using the en_uk language table.

Talking Login Screen: Once installed espeak will now ask you to enter
    your username and password when the login screen is loaded providing you
    do not enable autologin during the installation process. It will not
    however echo what you type, but if you enter the wrong username and/or
    password you will be asked to enter them again. It is important that you
    should not enable autologin if you are using a wifi connection as the keyring
    manager workaround detailed below depends upon a manual login to work!

Keyring Manager Workaround: Vinux now includes a workaround of sorts for the
    keyring manager which is currently inaccessible with Orca. We have set up a
    pre-configured keyring password 'vinux' which is retained on both the Live CD
    and a full install. This means that when you try to connect to a wifi
    network and Orca stops speaking when the keyring manager password dialog box
    opens, you simply have to type 'vinux' into this box and as long as
    autologin is not enabled you will never have to enter the keyring password
    again.

Lynx Fix: Lynx, Netrik and Firefox now use a local copy of the vinux.org.uk
    homepage as their starting URL's by default which means that you can
    open the broswers without problems whether you have an active internet
    connection or not.

Menu Entries for Console Applications: I have added menu entries for some
    of the extra console based applications provided in Vinux. This is to enable
    beginners who may not know the names of these applications or their way around
    the console to find and experiment with them more easily.

Download Vinux 1.4 - http://vinux.org.uk/downloads/old/1.4/Vinux-1.4.iso
    Check md5sum - http://vinux.org.uk/downloads/old/1....iso.md5sum.txt
    Vinux Homepage - http://vinux.org.uk/index.php

Full lists of all of the Keybindings for Vinux, Orca, Gnome and Yasr can be found
    in the Vinux folder in the the home directory.

Credits: I would like to thank Osvaldo La Rosa for all his hard work
    in providing the audible beeps and the Braille display cheatcodes,
    and David Knight for suggesting the workaround for the keyring
    manager bug!

drbongo 24/03/2009

UPDATE: Vinux - The new name for Vibuntu!

I am happy to announce that we have now rebranded Vibuntu as Vinux after
    discussion with Canonical about the use of the 'buntu' suffix. They were
    happy to let us call it the Ubuntu VI Remix but we decided to go with Vinux
    which now recursively stands for Vinux Is Not Ubuntu but gnu/Linux! We have
    been busy creating a new website, mailing list and development blog and hope
    to have a new release out soon - Vinux 1.3! The URL's are:

Homepage: http://vinux.org.uk/
    Development Forum/Mailing List:
    http://groups.google.com/group/vinux-development
    Development Blog: http://vinux-development.blogspot.com/

There are already threads created on the forum/mailing list for bugs reports,
    suggestions, help and advice and user profiles, but you are free to start new
    threads on different topics if appropriate. We do not expect there to be very
    high traffic initially and we will still post significant new release
    annoucements on other related mailing lists. The development team currently
    consists of myself, Tony Sales (aka drbongo) as the main developer and
    Osvaldo La Rosa (aka ald0) who is responsible for web administration etc. We
    would of course welcome support from people who would like to contribute to
    the project in any way at all. I will be posting a list of small modular
    tasks which people might like to take on board as needs arise. Ideally I
    would like to have a core development team of 3 to 6 individuals, with
    specific responsibilities and a looser collection of individuals who would
    contribute on an adhoc basis when required.

The project is still very much in its infancy and there is plenty of scope
    for evolution...

Hope to hear from you soon, drbongo and ald0.

Vibuntu 1.2 Released!

I am happy to formally announce the realease of Vibuntu 1.2 and I feel that this is a significant release because I have now resolved the problem of Orca beong unable to read admin apps launched from the menus and activated USB Braille Display autoprobing. This was achieved by simply changing the entries in the admin menu so they launched as an ‘application in terminal’ using the sudo or gksu command when necessary. This simply opens a terminal, asks for the admin password if required and then runs the gui application. When you close the application the terminal closes automatically and focus is returned to the Orca window. The only exception to this is remastersys gui which for some reason does not retain focus, you have to alt+tab to move from the terminal to the remastersys gui. (This is a problem with remastersys rather than Orca/Gnome etc). Sighted or partially sighted users are advised to open the admin apps using the desktop icons which will run the admin applications in the standard way. (Thanks to Luke Davies for this suggestion) Of course this solution only works on top of the changes recommended on the Orca SysAdmin page.

The download URL’s are:

http://www.rnc.ac.uk/mct/linux/vibuntu/Vibuntu-1.2.zip
    (This is a zip file containing iso and md5sum)

http://vibuntu.blinuxman.net/ and http://blinuxman.net/vibuntu/
    (These are standard iso downloads)

The homepage is here:

http://blinuxman.net/projects/vibuntu.php

The Development Blog is here:

http://www.vibuntu.blogspot.com/

I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this project by offering feedback, suggestions and criticisms. I would especially like to thank Osvaldo La Rosa who has enthusiastically taken on the responsibility for hosting a Vibuntu webpage and mirroring the images. This will in all probability be the last release of the year as I now want to take stock of what has been done, make available a list of features/changes, instructions on how to create Vibuntu from scratch and a wishlist of possible new features divided into easy, difficult and impossible!

As ever I would appreciate continued feedback and suggestions. I will set up a thread on the Ubuntu Assistive Technology and Accessibility section for people to post their suggestions!

drbongo

Vibuntu 1.1 is ready!

The new release of Vibuntu is ready for download! It incorporates several significant improvements over the first version and a handful of small changes. Vibuntu is a remaster of the Ubuntu 8.10 'Intrepid Ibex' live CD customised to the needs of blind and partially sighted users! It is designed to boot from a live cd or USB memory stick, log you in automatically and then start up the Orca screen-reader. Full-screen magnification can then be activated with a simple keystroke.

IMPROVEMENTS...

Firstly I have resolved the problem of Orca not working with applications run with root permissions by following the recommendations posted on the official Orca website: i.e. I created an .orbitrc file for the root user, disabled the gksu keyboard grab and edited the sudoers file. This allows Orca to work with applications like the Ubiquity installer and the Synaptic Package Manager etc. However, the recommended way to launch these applications is to open a terminal by pressing 'Ctrl+Shift+t' and then typing the name of the application e.g. 'sudo ubiquity'. The reason for this is that launching these applications from the panel menus or desktop icons produces inconsistent results. In other words sometimes Orca works and sometimes it doesn't. Finding a way to solve this problem is still my top priority.

Secondly I have now merged the 2D and 3D versions of Vibuntu into a single .iso image. Vibuntu will now boot into the standard 2D magnification mode by default, however you can enable/disable the 3D magnification by simply clicking on a
    desktop icon or menu entry. This means that you can try the 3D version without any risk of major problems because if it doesn't work or crashes the display you can simply disable the 3D effects or restart your xserver by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Backspace'.

Some minor improvements include Braille support being enabled at boot, a slightly larger red mouse pointer to enhance its visibility on both dark and light backgrounds, some new keybindings to open a terminal 'Ctrl+Shift+t', to open the home directory 'Ctrl+Shift+h', to toggle window maximisation 'Ctrl+Shift+m' and to toggle fullscreen mode 'Ctrl+Shift+f'.

DOWNLOAD...

The new release is available from the following URL:

http://www.rnc.ac.uk/mct/linux/vibuntu/Vibuntu-1.1.zip

Inside the zip file you will find iso image and a text file containing the md5sum of the iso image (not the zip file).

The image should also be available at Osvaldo La Rosa's blinuxman.net mirror within the next 24 hours:

http://vibuntu.blinuxman.net/ or http://blinuxman.net/vibuntu/

Osvaldo has also kindly set up a homepage for Vibuntu at:

http://blinuxman.net/projects/vibuntu.php

INFORMATION...

You can use Vibuntu as a live CD, a portable operating system on a USB memory stick (Using Unetbootin) or you can install it
    to your hard drive either alongside or as a replacement for Windows. In order to fit all of the accessibility settings on the CD I have had to remove some applications including: The GIMP graphical image manipulation program, the F-Spot photo-manager, Gnome Games and the Ekiga voice over IP package. You can easily reinstall these and many more open-source applications if you choose to install it on your hard-drive. I used the RemasterSys package to create Vibuntu and I have included this package on the CD in case you want to make your own customised live CD. N.B. The default username and password is 'orca', and this will be retained even if you install it to your hard-drive, no matter what you type in during the installation process. (You can change this by typing 'sudo passwd orca' into a terminal and then typing the new password twice)

As always I would of course appreciate any feedback on Vibuntu. Post any feedback: good, bad or just plain ugly on this thread.

KEYSTROKES...

What follows is a list of keystrokes you can use to control the screen-reader and magnification software. I will only provide a few basic keystrokes for Orca to get you started as they are all listed in the preferences window and are unchanged from the default settings. I have provided an exaustive list of the magnification/display keystrokes as I have customised them to make them easier to remember!

ORCA...

Open Preferences Window: insert+space
    Open Main Menu: alt+F1
    Move Through Menu/Text: up, down, left and right
    Move Through Form: tab, shift+tab
    Toggle Voice On/Off: insert+s
    Quit Orca: insert+q

BASIC 2D MAGNIFICATION...

Toggle Magnification On/Off: insert+m
    Increase Magnification: insert+(plus)
    Decrease Magnification: insert+(minus)

ADVANCED 3D MAGNIFICATION...

Zoom In: win+z (win+left-mouse)
    Zoom Out: win+x (win+right-mouse)

Zoom x1: win+1
    Zoom x2: win+2
    Zoom x4: win+3

Toggle Magnifier Box: win+m
    Zoom In Magnifier Box: ctrl+left-mouse
    Zoom Out Magnifier Box: ctrl+right-mouse

Resize Window: win+r
    Zoom To Window: win+w

ADVANCED 3D MOVEMENT...

Pan Right: win+right
    Pan Left: win+left
    Pan Up: win+up
    Pan Down: win+down

Lock Zoomed Window: win+l

Centre Mouse Pointer: win+c
    Toggle Highlight Mouse Pointer: win+h

ADVANCED 3D COLOURS...

Toggle Invert Colours: win+i
    Toggle Invert Window Colours: shift+win+i

Toggle Filter Colours: win+f
    Toggle Window Filter Colours: shift+win+f
    Switch Filter Colours: win+s

Decrease Window Brightness: win+(minus)
    Increase Window Brightness: win+(plus)

Decrease Window Saturation: shift+win+(plus)
    Increase Window Saturation: shift+win+(minus)

Toggle Dim Inactive Windows: win+d

GNOME...

Open a Terminal: ctrl+shift+t
    Open the Home Directory: ctrl+shift+h
    Toggle Window Maximisation: ctrl+shift+m
    Toggle Full-screen Mode: ctrl+shift+f

This list of keystrokes will automatically load into Gedit when Vibuntu boots!
    Last edited by drbongo; March 25th, 2009 at 09:12 PM.

Beans

Re: SAPI in Ubuntu using Gnone Speech Dispatcher

I am happy to announce the release of Vibuntu 1.0 (aka Vinux) a remaster of the Intrepid Ibex live CD customised to the needs of blind and partially sighted users! It is designed to boot from a live cd or USB memory stick, log you in automatically and then start up the Orca screen-reader. Full-screen magnification can then be activated with a simple keystroke.

The type of magnification on offer depends upon whether you downloaded the 2D or 3D version of Vibuntu. The 2D version only offers basic options but will run on any computer, while the 3D version offers advanced features but requires a powerful 3D graphics card. If you are in any doubt as to which version is best for you or do not require magnification at all I recommend you download the safer 2D version. Vibuntu is available from the following URL's:

http://www.rnc.ac.uk/mct/linux/vibun...ntu-2D-1.0.zip

http://www.rnc.ac.uk/mct/linux/vibun...ntu-3D-1.0.zip

Inside the zip file you will find iso image and a text file containing the md5sum of the iso image (not the zip file).

You can use Vibuntu as a live CD, a portable operating system on a USB memory stick* or you can install it to your hard drive either alongside or as a replacement for Windows. In order to fit all of the accessibility settings on the CD I have had to remove some applications including: The GIMP graphical image manipulation program, the F-Spot photo-manager and the Ekiga voice over IP package. You can easily reinstall these and many more open-source applications if you choose to install it on your hard-drive. I used the RemasterSys package to create Vibuntu and I have included this package on the CD incase you want to make your own customised live CD. N.B. The default username and password is 'orca', and this will be retained even if you install it to your hard-drive, no matter what you type in during the installation process.

(*Using Unetbootin)

I would of course appreciate any feedback on Vibuntu. What do you think of the name? Is it corny enough? Would Vinux be better? Post any feedback good or bad on this thread.

Enjoy yourself,

drbongo

P.S. What follows is a list of keystrokes you can use to control the screen-reader and magnification software. I will only provide a few basic keystrokes for Orca to get you started as they are all listed in the preferences window and are unchanged from the default settings. I have provided an exaustive list of the magnification keystrokes as I have customised them to make them easier to remember!

ORCA...

Open Preferences Window: insert+space
    Open Main Menu: alt+F1
    Move Through Menu/Text: up, down, left and right
    Move Through Form: tab, shift+tab
    Toggle Voice On/Off: insert+s
    Quit Orca: insert+q

BASIC 2D MAGNIFICATION...

Toggle Magnification On/Off: insert+m
    Increase Magnification: insert+(plus)
    Decrease Magnification: insert+(minus)

ADVANCED 3D MAGNIFICATION...

Zoom In: win+z (win+left-mouse)
    Zoom Out: win+x (win+right-mouse)

Zoom x1: win+1
    Zoom x2: win+2
    Zoom x4: win+3

Toggle Magnifier Box: win+m
    Zoom In Magnifier Box: ctrl+left-mouse
    Zoom Out Magnifier Box: ctrl+right-mouse

Resize Window: win+r
    Zoom To Window: win+w

ADVANCED 3D MOVEMENT...

Pan Right: win+right
    Pan Left: win+left
    Pan Up: win+up
    Pan Down: win+down

Lock Zoomed Window: win+l

Centre Mouse Pointer: win+c
    Toggle Highlight Mouse Pointer: win+h

ADVANCED 3D COLOURS...

Toggle Invert Colours: win+i
    Toggle Invert Window Colours: shift+win+i

Toggle Filter Colours: win+f
    Toggle Window Filter Colours: shift+win+f
    Switch Filter Colours: win+s

Decrease Window Brightness: win+(minus)
    Increase Window Brightness: win+(plus)

Decrease Window Saturation: shift+win+(plus)
    Increase Window Saturation: shift+win+(minus)

Toggle Dim Inactive Windows: win+d

This list of keystrokes will automatically load into Gedit when Vibuntu boots!

Beans

Re: SAPI in Ubuntu using Gnone Speech Dispatcher

Installing Vibuntu...

At the moment the Orca Screen-Reader does not support the Ubuntu Installer GUI (Ubiquity). Therefore for the time being to install Vibuntu to the hard-drive of your computer you will either need sighted assistance or you can try the following step by step instructions. N.B. These instructions will wipe your hard-drive and install Vibuntu with the English language, USA keyboard settings and the New York time zone.

1. Press Alt+F2 to open the Run dialogue
    2. Type in the password 'orca' then press Enter
    2. Type 'ubiquity' then press Enter
    3. Press Alt+F to accept the default language (English)
    4. Press Alt+F again to accept the default time zone (New York)
    5. Press Alt+F again to accept the default keyboard layout (USA)
    6. Press Down twice then Alt+F to partition the whole disk
    7. Type in your name then press Tab
    8. Type in your username the press Tab
    9. Type in your password then press Tab
    10. Type in your password again and then press Tab
    11. Type in the name of the computer then press Tab
    12. Press space bar to select automatic login then press Alt+F
    13. Press enter to start the installation.

N.B. You can press Alt+B to go back a step at any time, or Alt+F4 to abandon the process.

The installation will take 10-20 minutes to complete
    When the CD and Hard-Drive has stopped spinning press Enter to restart the computer
    When the CD ejects remove it from the drive and press Enter again to restart the computer.

If you have any problems please port in the Vibuntu thread on the Ubuntu Forums.

drbongo

Beans

Re: Vibuntu 1.0 - Ubuntu for the visually impaired!

Installing Vibuntu...

At the moment the Orca Screen-Reader does not support the Ubuntu Installer GUI (Ubiquity). Therefore for the time being to install Vibuntu to the hard-drive of your computer you will either need sighted assistance or you can try the following step by step instructions. N.B. These instructions will wipe your hard-drive and install Vibuntu with the English language, USA keyboard settings and the New York time zone.

1. Press Alt+F2 to open the Run dialogue
    2. Type 'ubiquity' then press Enter
    3. Type in the password 'orca' then press Enter
    4. Press Alt+F to accept the default language (English)
    5. Press Alt+F again to accept the default time zone (New York)
    6. Press Alt+F again to accept the default keyboard layout (USA)
    7. Press Down twice then Alt+F to partition the whole disk
    8. Type in your name then press Tab
    9. Type in your username then press Tab
    10. Type in your password then press Tab
    11. Type in your password again and then press Tab
    12. Type in the name of the computer then press Tab
    13. Press space bar to select automatic login then press Alt+F
    14. Press enter to start the installation.

N.B. You can press Alt+B to go back a step at any time, or Alt+F4 to abandon the process.

The installation will take 10-20 minutes to complete
    When the CD and Hard-Drive has stopped spinning press Enter to restart the computer
    When the CD ejects remove it from the drive and press Enter again to restart the computer.

If you have any problems please port in the Vibuntu thread on the Ubuntu Forums.

drbongo
    Last edited by drbongo; November 30th, 2008 at 07:22 PM.

Beans

If you want to connect to a wireless network using Orca, you need to press Alt+F2, type nm-connection-editor and fill in the network name and any WEP/WPA keys etc. I will add a menu entry for this in the next version.

drbongo

Beans

Talking Re: Vibuntu 1.0 - Ubuntu for the visually impaired!

I have just discovered that the reason Orca doesn't work with Ubiquity is that for some reason the Orca settings only work for the user who logged in, thus when you open any app as root Orca stops working in those windows. I have managed to work around this by setting up a root password, logging in as root, starting Orca and then running ubiquity! It looks like the only way around this is to log in as root when you want to perform root admin tasks. I will investigate more tomorrow, I might be able to set up a root login account with a Orca setup and include it on the live CD. I will post a more detailed work around for ubiquity and connecting to a wireless network tomorrow using Orca.

And before I get lambasted for suggesting someone log in as root, I know this is risky, but if you are blind and there is no other way to perform these tasks independently what would you do?

drbongo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

drbongo, is it possible to install the vibuntu files on top of an existing Ubuntu 8.10 installation, and when at the log in screen choose Vibuntu?

Also please tell us what 3D cards are supported and if there is any minimum requirements. I have an old Nvidia card, a GE Force2 - MX/MX 400 card which is about 10 years old now.

Keep up that crazy beat on those bongos!

DR

Beans

All the packages you need to create a Vibuntu setup are installed by default in the Ubuntu 8.10 Live CD. All I have done is to set up an Orca configuration so it is on the highest verbosity settings (i.e. it reads out everything it can) and added three key bindings so that the Orca magnifier can be enabled and disabled with a keystroke. I have also set up some customised key bindings to take advantage of the Advanced Desktop Zoom settings provided by Compiz, but this will only work with a newish graphics cards. I then remastered the CD using Remastersys and installed it to a USB stick using Netbootin.

I have actually tested the mx400 and it doesn't support Compiz. I believe you would need an ATI Radeon 9550 or newer and/or an Nvidia Geforce 8 Series or newer. It works on some laptops e.g. a Sony Vaio NR11M and TX3XP but not on a Toshiba Satellite A100 or A300. Obviously the 3D version offers much more advanced features but the 2D version works perfectly well - but I would recommend using keystrokes to navigate rather than the mouse as it results in a much smoother display.

So the answer to your question is yes - you can choose a Vibuntu setup at login by creating two user accounts, one normal and one with accessibility functions. The easiest way to do this would be to download and install Vibuntu and then simple create a new user account which would have the normal Ubuntu looks and settings!

Let me know if you want any more help!

drbongo
    Last edited by drbongo; November 30th, 2008 at 07:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Dr. Bongo,

Is this Vibuntu 1.0 a Command Line Interface (CLI) Linux with optional X server? Perhaps I had misunderstood. A CLI program for the blind is much more desirable as it is difficult - and often impossible - to locate X Windows and read them as it is really a "hunting game" with a mouse on a screen that is black and unreadable to the blind!

Best

DR

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would of course appreciate any feedback on Vibuntu. What do you think of the name? Is it corny enough? Would Vinux be better? Post any feedback good or bad on this thread.
    thanks for this. i have been following a distro once that was called blinux but it died out.
    i am so happy that there is something like this now. thanks. if you need any help translating from english to danish ever i will be happy to help as much as i can. i am not that much affected yet by my eyes being bad as they are but it will maybe come . so i am very grateful for something like this.
    thanks.

oh , and vibuntu sounds just great. if the name should turn out be too much alike ubuntu for some reason then vinux is also a very good name.

anyway i am going to try this out.
    thanks again.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast