Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Install VirtualBox 2.1.4 PUEL version

Beans

HowTo: Install VirtualBox 2.1.4 PUEL version

The new version of Sun xVM Virtual Box -- version 2.1.4 -- has been released. This version includes many bug fixes and includes Windows 7 support, 3D Acceleration via OpenGL, and "out-of-the-box" USB support. Unlike the OSE version that is installable through the standard Ubuntu Repositories, the Personal Use and Evaluation Licensed (PUEL) version includes USB support and easy installation of the Guest Additions.

Most users of the OSE version also install the Guest Additions. By installing this software, users agree to the PUEL, even though they are using the more limited OSE version. If you are going to use the Guest Additions, you are agreeing to the PUEL but NOT getting the advantages of the full PUEL version of VirtualBox.

So, you want to install the full version of VirtualBox AND get automatic upgrade notification through the Synaptic Upgrade Manager? It is as Easy as Falling Of A Log.

I. Getting VirtualBox 2.1.4 PUEL edition

KDE USERS: To access software sources & software installation in KDE, see Repositories/Kubuntu -- These instructions are for Ubuntu with the Gnome desktop environment. KDE users will use "Package Manager (Adept Manager)" to alter their software sources and add the signing key.

If you've previously installed the OSE version of VirtualBox, you'll need to completely remove it. Use System → Administration → Synaptic Package Manager and search for "virtualbox" and completely remove any virtualbox related packages. Right click on the package(s) you want to remove and select "Mark for Complete Removal." Simply using "Mark for Removal" may leave files behind that could block the installation of the PUEL version. Click on "Apply" then confirm the changes and click apply again. When done, go ahead and close Synaptic Package Manager.

Go to System → Administration → Software Sources. Click on the “Third-Party Software” tab. Now, click on the “Add” button near the bottom of the window. Paste the following into the “APT line” box:
    Code:
    deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian intrepid non-free
    If you are running Hardy (8.04 LTS) replace “intrepid” with "hardy". At the time of this writing, packages for later versions are not available. If you are using a version older than hardy (such as gutsy, feisty, etc.) you might have trouble getting up-to-date versions of VirtualBox. Since Ubuntu versions prior to hardy are either no longer supported or will soon reach their end-of-life, this would be a good time to upgrade to at least hardy (8.04 LTS).

Click “Add Source” Do not close Software Sources yet..

Get the signing key directly from Sun at http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...n/sun_vbox.asc. In Software Sources, click on the Authentication tab and then click on “Import Key File...” Browse to the location of sun_vbox.asc. Click on the file and then press OK. Notice that a key has been added to Trusted software providers for Sun Microsystems, Inc. (xVM VirtualBox archive signing key). Now you can close Software Sources.

II. Install VirtualBox 2.1.4

Open System → Administration → Synaptic Package Manager. Click on the Reload button. Now search for virtualbox (the Quick search box sometimes does not work with third-party repositories, so use the Search button instead). Click on the check box next to “virtualbox-2.1”. Click “Apply” and follow the on-screen instructions. Once VirtualBox is installed, close Synaptic Package Manager

III. Add User(s) to the "vboxusers" Group

Go to System → Administration → Users & Groups. Unlock "Users Settings" using the "Unlock" button near the lower right of the box (next to the close button) then click on “Manage Groups”

Scroll through the list of group names until you find “vboxusers” then click on it to highlight and click on the “Properties” button. You'll see a list of users on your system. Check off all the users who you will want to give access to VirtualBox. Do NOT check off “root”. After you've made your changes, click "OK" and then close groups settings and user's settings.

A reboot should not be required. Simply log out, and then back in. If you get an error when you try to start your guest OS, then go ahead and reboot and then try again. Leave a message on this thread if you find that you need to reboot before you are able to run your virtual machine so that I can change the instructions.

IV. Install Guest Additions

This part of the HOWTO assumes that you have already created a Virtual Machine. Instructions on how to create a VM and install an operating system can be found elsewhere and is outside the scope of this HOWTO. While not required, you will enjoy a much better user experience with your VirtualBox guest operating systems if you install the guest additions. Improved video support and sharing folders with the hostOS are among the benefits of using the Guest Additions. For a Windows guest, start your guest OS. After it is booted up and ready to use, make sure you are in windowed mode (as opposed to full screen), open "Devices" from the menu bar, and select "Install Guest Additions..." Normally, it will start up automatically, but if it doesn't, just open the Windows "start" menu, go to "My Computer" (or "Computer" in Vista) and double click on the CD labeled "VirtualBox Guest Additions."

V. Enable USB Support

Open VirtualBox and click on your Virtual Machine then click “Settings” -- In the left panel, click on USB. Check off “Enable USB Controller” and “Enable USB 2.0 (EHCI) Controller". Do this for each VM in which you wish to have USB access.

Here is a brief list of some common USB problems under VirtualBox:

My USB keyboard and/or USB mouse is not working or is behaving erratically. DO NOT activate these devices for your virtual machines. VirtualBox uses virtual drivers for these devices. Activating them in your virtual machine may cause erratic behavior in both the guest and host OS. ALSO, for proper mouse integration, you will need to install the Guest Additions (see instructions in section IV of this HowTo)

I can activate my USB Hard Drive and/or Flash Drive, but it is not working in the guest OS. You'll need to create a device filter. Before opening VirtualBox, plug in your flash drive and/or your USB hard drive. Open VirtualBox and select your guest OS. Do NOT start the guest, just highlight it. Click on "Settings" in the toolbar and select USB in the left pane. Notice a large white area just below the heading "Device Filters." Right click anywhere in that large white area and select "Add filter from device." Now select your USB hard drive or Flash drive. Notice that the name of the device will now appear in the large white area with a checked box next to it. Repeat for other USB hard drives or flash drives as desired. In some cases, you'll need to unmount the device from your Ubuntu desktop before starting the guest OS. Once the guest OS has been started and is ready to use, plug in the USB hard drive or flash drive. The guest OS should recognize and mount it properly now.

When I activate a USB device (such as my USB printer) in my guest OS, I can no longer use it from my host OS. This is normal. When you enable a USB device, it will be inaccessible to your host OS until you release it from your guest OS.

VI. Enable CD Burner and/or DVD Burner

You're actually better off using tools such as Brasero or K3B in Ubuntu to burn CD's or DVD's ... but if you must use your guest OS, it can be done very easily. If you are using an external USB CDRW/DVDRW drive, plug it in now. Open VirtualBox and select your guest OS. Do not start it yet. Open "Settings" and select "CD/DVD-ROM" from the left panel. In the right panel, check off "Mount CD/DVD Drive" and then select the "Host CD/DVD Drive radio button. Select your CDRW/DVDRW drive from the drop down list. Now, check off "Enable Passthrough." Click OK. Start your guest OS. You should now have full burning support for the drive in the guest.
    Last edited by HotShotDJ; February 27th, 2009 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Additional Information
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans

Unhappy Re: hardy heron

can you help me, please?
    this is the specs of my desktop PC Intel(r) Celeron(r)
    2.6ghz, 512 MB, 40gig... my pc got slow motion now.i only installed the AWN, Virtualbox.

Beans

Re: hardy heron

Quote Originally Posted by 02741 View Post
    can you help me, please?
    this is the specs of my desktop PC Intel(r) Celeron(r)
    2.6ghz, 512 MB, 40gig... my pc got slow motion now.i only installed the AWN, Virtualbox.
    I'm concerned about the amount of physical RAM that you have in your system. In order to run a guest OS in VirtualBox, I strongly recommend at least 1 Gig of RAM (preferably more). With only 512 MB of RAM, you are going to have A LOT of swapping to the hard drive in order for the host OS to keep up with the demands of running both the host OS and the guest OS. This is creating a serious bottleneck on your system, resulting in the poor performance that you are experiencing. Upgrading your RAM is really the only way to get things running at a tolerable speed.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: HowTo: Install VirtualBox 2.1.4 PUEL version

I have previously installed vista and was under the impression that this software would allow me to boot my vista partition while running linux. Is this correct?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Thanks HotShotDJ

I updated the Mega Thread, adding a link to your newest tutorial.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mpl34 View Post
    I have previously installed vista and was under the impression that this software would allow me to boot my vista partition while running linux. Is this correct?
    See the tutorials linked in the mega thread.

IMO booting a physical partition is in "Beta" meaning it can be done, but it is not the default behavior and can cause breakage.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    IMO booting a physical partition is in "Beta" meaning it can be done, but it is not the default behavior and can cause breakage.
    +1

One ignores the warning contained the the VirtualBox User Manual at their own peril:
    Quote Originally Posted by User Manual, Page 123
    Warning: Raw hard disk access is for expert users only. Incorrect use or use of an outdated configuration can lead to total loss of data on the physical disk. Most importantly, do not attempt to boot the partition with the currently running host operating system in a guest. This will lead to severe data corruption.

Beans

Hi all,

This worked great, VirtualBox is a life saver. My wife hates my linux installation and kept threatening to force me to put Windows back on. Now I've got both!

One issue I had was with my Western Digitial My Book USB external hard drive. I couldn't seem to get the guest OS to recognize it, in this case Windows XP. I installed the guest additions, setup the USB stuff in the settings, etc, etc. It got my printer working but still wouldn't recognize my hard disk. I found in the device list a question mark next to a USB bus. Right clicking on it and having it find a driver it got installed no problem. Once that was solved I had no problems using my USB hard drive. Thought I'd share this.

Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by griztown View Post
    I found in the device list a question mark next to a USB bus. Right clicking on it and having it find a driver it got installed no problem. Once that was solved I had no problems using my USB hard drive. Thought I'd share this.
    Thank you for letting us know about this. Most USB hard drives do not require additional drivers, so I find this strange. I also have a WD My Book, and never had to install any special drivers for it. Do you know which driver Windows XP needed to install? I wonder if it was the regular USB Mass Storage driver -- which would lead the question: Why didn't Windows XP detect and install it when you activated your USB drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Good howto, thanks !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast