Thread: Dell Ubuntu Line-up Change

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Dell Ubuntu Line-up Change

Looks like no Inspiron notebooks on sale today. Also the Studio notebook is missing.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...=19&l=en&s=dhs

The XPS laptops are cool, yes, but a bit out of my price range.
    Acer Aspire 5050-5554 w/ 4GB RAM upgrade. Ubuntu Aug 07 - Dec 08; Arch Linux Dec 08 - July 2011; Ubuntu again since July 2011.
    "Triclops": Home-built AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6570, 500GB HDD. Ubuntu/Windows-XP duo since Jun 2010.

Beans

Re: Dell Ubuntu Line-up Change

That sucks, I really enjoy my Inspiron 1420n. The rate that they change models is so frequent, I'm surprised they've lasted as long as they have. Hopefully they'll shift some of the newer Studios into the N-Series for the people looking to invest in budget machines running Ubuntu. You may wish to contact sales via phone to confirm what's actually available for the N-Series models.
    Quote Originally Posted by *snip*
    I love it when people stop trying to help me and I just uninstall ubuntu because of it . . .

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I wish they'd have some of the vostro line with ubuntu.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans
    Hidden!

Maybe that's exactly what they're doing?

I liked the Inspiron series. In fact, I'm still using mine... 4 years, still going on strong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Inspiron is going away? I still use my May 2005, 9300 as my main computer.
    New ASUS EEE 900A currently has Eeebuntu on it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

They must be in the process of updating the Inspirons. So says my wishful thinking.

The XPS's look great though, what with including 4GB RAM in even the base models.
    Acer Aspire 5050-5554 w/ 4GB RAM upgrade. Ubuntu Aug 07 - Dec 08; Arch Linux Dec 08 - July 2011; Ubuntu again since July 2011.
    "Triclops": Home-built AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6570, 500GB HDD. Ubuntu/Windows-XP duo since Jun 2010.

Beans

When they update stuff or a component is not available for the laptop, it just dissapears from the website for some days. Nothing to worry about. It happens all the time with xps m1330 in dell.co.uk/ubuntu

Now that we are talking about this I just wanted to say that I was trying to buy this XPS with ubuntu for some several months. It's just impossible if dell is not selling it in your country. So I had to buy the windows version from eBay, this way I could have the xps m1330 shipped to portugal, where I live right now. Didn't have time to install ubuntu on it yet but the machine is a bomb! (except for Vista that is killing the 500HDD even when idling...)
    Collecting data is only the first step toward wisdom but sharing data is the first step toward community

Beans

I like how in configuration it says
    "Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) No Productivity software pre-installed" What do you call open office? Chopped liver?
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aaaantoine View Post
    They must be in the process of updating the Inspirons. So says my wishful thinking.

The XPS's look great though, what with including 4GB RAM in even the base models.
    I'm thinking they're replacing the Inspiron line w/ the Studio models, just a guess tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by *snip*
    I love it when people stop trying to help me and I just uninstall ubuntu because of it . . .