Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MBP 4.1, problems

Beans

MBP 4.1, problems

Hi,

I have been using osx on my macbook pro until yesterday, and decided to install intrepid on it (though i have been running ubuntu on my desktop for couple of years)

Now i am facing multiple problems and have tried to consult the Mactel pages on ubuntu wiki, however it hasn't help. Let me try and list them out.

1. Right click not working : I cannot get the right click working in any possible manner.

2. Touchpad scrolling : The Double Finger TouchPad scrolling was working the first time i booted up ubuntu. After trying to get the right click working, the scroll now doesn't work. Is there something i can check ?

3. Default Brightness + Default Keyboard BackLit : When i boot up ubuntu, by default the screen brightness and keyboard backlit is set to default, where do i change this ? Does the light sensors which work under osx i.e. when there is less light, the keyboard backlit works automatically ?

4. Fn+F1, F2 : Inside osx, i was using Fn+F1 and Fn+F2 for changing screen brightness, however in ubuntu, i don't know how to get that working. Right now F1, F2 works for increasing and reducing brightness respect.

5. Wifi Disconnection : I have enabled the driver from restricted drivers, after which the wifi started to work. However it disconnects every now and then, and either it will auto reconnect, or i will have to do a manual reconnection. There is np with the wifi network, since it was working properly with osx and other machines in the same network.

6. Wifi Duplicate : In the NetworkManager icon on the system tray, sometimes i start to see 2 Broadcom entries.

7. Temp : The macbook pro was heating up badly, so i been using the following to control the same. Is there a better way to do this or this is ok ?

sudo sh -c "echo 5000 > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_min"
    sudo sh -c "echo 5000 > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan2_min"

8. Alt+F2 Combo : The Alt+F2 combo which is used to get the run window, doesn't work.

Now i have tried to follow the wiki for mactel users and searched the forums, however have been unable to resolve the above issues.

I have loaded the mactel ppa repository in apt, and already installed applesmc-dkms, hal-applesmc, mbp-nvidia-bl-dkms. Here are the contents of /etc/modules

Code:
    # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
    #
    # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
    # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

fuse
    lp
    sbp2
    applesmc
    mbp_nvidia_bl
    Will appreciate any help / pointers in order to resolve the above.
    Last edited by anandi; February 18th, 2009 at 08:46 AM. Reason: added more problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: MBP 4.1, problems

Wifi: I had this problem with a laptop once, it turned out it was attempting to enter monitor mode because of a restricted driver.

is it a B43 chipset?

Overheat:
    sudo apt-get install powernowd

if its not already installed. It will enable processor scaleing.
    AMD Phenom x4 9850 | 4 GB DDR2 OCZ Crossfire Memory | Asus M4A78 Pro Motherboard | 1 GB 4870 Radeon | 2x 500 GB RAID 0 | 850w Black Widow PSU | Blue ORB II CPU FAN | SATA DVD-RW | Ubuntu 9.10

Beans

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Divider View Post
    Wifi: I had this problem with a laptop once, it turned out it was attempting to enter monitor mode because of a restricted driver.

is it a B43 chipset?
    Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 05)
    Overheat:

Its already installed. The lines which i wrote do the trick of cooling the laptop down, my question was whether that is the best possible way, or a better alternative is available.

Thanks

Beans

Update:

I tried to use the solution mentioned at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MacBookPro/SantaRosaFanControl. However this results in the laptop heating up badly. When checked manually the fan1_min and fan2_min show a value of 1.

Beans

This is running strange now. The two finger scroll has started to work in firefox.

Hmm... this is strange, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I rebooted again and this time, no two finger scroll. Suspended and came back, still nothing.

Things are acting very very weird, just hope someone here can help before i get tired of banging my head on this.
    Last edited by anandi; February 18th, 2009 at 08:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by anandi View Post
    I tried to use the solution mentioned at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MacBookPro/SantaRosaFanControl. However this results in the laptop heating up badly. When checked manually the fan1_min and fan2_min show a value of 1.
    Anandi, fanX_min=1 apparently means that the applesmc module takes care of fan speed control. i hope somebody else can help you with the specific procedure for MBP4,1. if you are worried of frying it in the meantime, try to manually set a minimum fan speed as described on the doc pages for MB5,1 and MBP5,1. ciao, Lo.
    Lo runs Kubuntu 9.10-amd64 on a MacBookPro 5.1, and feels Karmic :~)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

First make sure that you are using this page:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...ro4-1/Intrepid

1. Right click not working : I cannot get the right click working in any possible manner.

2. Touchpad scrolling : The Double Finger TouchPad scrolling was working the first time i booted up ubuntu. After trying to get the right click working, the scroll now doesn't work. Is there something i can check ?
    The wiki page shows you how to setup the touchpad using the new hal-based fdi file method. In order for it to work correctly, you need to make sure that you remove any touchpad configuration sections from your xorg.conf

3. Default Brightness + Default Keyboard BackLit : When i boot up ubuntu, by default the screen brightness and keyboard backlit is set to default, where do i change this ? Does the light sensors which work under osx i.e. when there is less light, the keyboard backlit works automatically ?
    Make sure you have installed the corrected packages in the mactel PPA as instructed in the wiki. There has been a little work on getting the automatic scaling to work properly, but I don't think it is completely there yet.

4. Fn+F1, F2 : Inside osx, i was using Fn+F1 and Fn+F2 for changing screen brightness, however in ubuntu, i don't know how to get that working. Right now F1, F2 works for increasing and reducing brightness respect.
    The default in Ubuntu is also the default for OSX. If you want to swap the Fn key behavior, you can do that as discussed in the wiki page. I also have a blog entry describing this here:
    http://www.rickycampbell.com/swap-fn/

5. Wifi Disconnection : I have enabled the driver from restricted drivers, after which the wifi started to work. However it disconnects every now and then, and either it will auto reconnect, or i will have to do a manual reconnection. There is np with the wifi network, since it was working properly with osx and other machines in the same network.
    Some people exhibit these issues, and others do not. You can also try using ndiswrapper if you are unhappy with the Broadcom-provided wl driver.\

6. Wifi Duplicate : In the NetworkManager icon on the system tray, sometimes i start to see 2 Broadcom entries.
    make sure that thee b43 module is NOT loading on bootup as it will interfere with the wl driver (and doesn't work with this card anyway).

7. Temp : The macbook pro was heating up badly, so i been using the following to control the same. Is there a better way to do this or this is ok ?
    sudo sh -c "echo 5000 > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_min"
    sudo sh -c "echo 5000 > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan2_min"

Make sure you have the applesmc module from the mactel ppa, but that appears to be the way to do it. It might help if you mess with the CPU scaling to get your machine to run cooler.
    8. Alt+F2 Combo : The Alt+F2 combo which is used to get the run window, doesn't work.
    That is because, with your current configuration, it would be Fn+Alt+F2. This will change if you do the Fn key function swap as mentioned above.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buntuLo View Post
    Anandi, fanX_min=1 apparently means that the applesmc module takes care of fan speed control. i hope somebody else can help you with the specific procedure for MBP4,1. if you are worried of frying it in the meantime, try to manually set a minimum fan speed as described on the doc pages for MB5,1 and MBP5,1. ciao, Lo.
    Hi,

I understand it will take care of the speed control automatically, however during this time, i was monitoring the same. The speed was variating from 0 to 2000 max, and cpu temp was going off the scale. For now i have placed the manual fan speed in the bootup and wakeup scripts.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Divider View Post

is it a B43 chipset?

Overheat:

Doesn't the processor autoscale normally? I don't have this installed, or i never installed it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    First make sure that you are using this page:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...ro4-1/Intrepid
    Thanks been following that a lot.

The wiki page shows you how to setup the touchpad using the new hal-based fdi file method. In order for it to work correctly, you need to make sure that you remove any touchpad configuration sections from your xorg.conf
    Works now. The two finger touch and right click all work.

Make sure you have installed the corrected packages in the mactel PPA as instructed in the wiki. There has been a little work on getting the automatic scaling to work properly, but I don't think it is completely there yet.
    Ok have it working partly after installing pommed from the main repository. Now it will lit the whole keyboard when waken up from sleep which is irritating.

The default in Ubuntu is also the default for OSX. If you want to swap the Fn key behavior, you can do that as discussed in the wiki page. I also have a blog entry describing this here:
    http://www.rickycampbell.com/swap-fn/
    Yes figured it out.

Some people exhibit these issues, and others do not. You can also try using ndiswrapper if you are unhappy with the Broadcom-provided wl driver.\
    First thing i noticed that wl driver introduced a very high latency. My local lan seems to be giving me from 5ms to 200+ms, whereas using the wired network has no problem at all. Second the ndiswrapper way just won't work for me. Even though i configured it as instructed, NetworkManager will keep on asking me the password, and not connect to the network

make sure that thee b43 module is NOT loading on bootup as it will interfere with the wl driver (and doesn't work with this card anyway).
    Checked, its not being loaded.

Make sure you have the applesmc module from the mactel ppa, but that appears to be the way to do it. It might help if you mess with the CPU scaling to get your machine to run cooler.
    Yup doing that already.

Now just if the network issue gets resolved, i can atleast start to use this laptop, otherwise its now a complete mess

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast