Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: ATTENTION HP dvX laptop owners with speaker sound issues ...

Beans

Re: ATTENTION HP dvX laptop owners with speaker sound issues ...

thanks nallen00 & jstalnak!

I had the same compiling problem noted by MRPAPERSHEAD. This solution worked for me on a HP dv5. I now can get on with completing my exit from VISTA!

Thanks everyone on the boards and the ALSA dev team for keeping on this issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thank you so much everyone for all of your help and advice. I have sound again =). Now to deal with the battery not displaying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MrPapersHead View Post
    Thank you so much everyone for all of your help and advice. I have sound again =). Now to deal with the battery not displaying.
    So what did you do? ALSA upgrade, or just adding proper lines to conf?
    My PC
    Ubuntu user from 18.2.2008
    Oh, my studio and my band

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by uhappo View Post
    So what did you do? ALSA upgrade, or just adding proper lines to conf?
    Actually wiped the drive completely and reinstalled 8.10. Sounds card was once again recognized, but not on and working. Appended the lines to the conf file and got sound....but it sounded really grainy, almost midi quality.

Updated to 9.04 and then did the ALSA upgrade using the code string nallen00 listed. No errors appeared, and sounds is great now. =).

Probably an over-dramatic reaction to get it to work, but I needed a small amount of drive space for Vista so HP tech would actually help me with the battery issue.

Beans

Nothing of the previous worked for me but I found the solution through this: http://www.box.net/shared/454ic17as0 to see far http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1013750.html.

There is still one problem, my headphones don't work so I have to activate them. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/363870.

I have HP DV6 1124, AMD Athlon X2 64 with Jaunty.

Beans

Angry Re: ATTENTION HP dvX laptop owners with speaker sound issues ...

Quote Originally Posted by nallen00 View Post
    Hello everyone. Long time stalker, first time poster.

Firstly, big thanks to jstalnak for putting in the initial footwork on this issue. Following his instructions, I ran into the same errors outlined earlier by Binary Bandit, and since he never actually describes what the "patch" is or where to find it, I did a little searching on my own and ended up with the following solution:

• Open the terminal and run the following command (this will fix the "patch" issue described by Binary Bandit):

Code:
    #> sudo apt-get install build-essential
    • Locate the latest alsa snapshot HERE (file should end with *.tar.gz);
    • Download the archive;
      • Right-click the archive and select "Extract Here" (this will create a folder named "alsa-driver" or "alsa-driver-unstable" depending on the version you downloaded)...
      • Right-click this folder and select "Open in Terminal" (if you don't see this option, install "nautilus-open-terminal" from the Synaptic Package Manager)...

• In the terminal, simply follow the commands outlined by jstalnak (replacing "vim" with "gedit" as highlighted):

Code:
    #> ./configure --enable-dynamic-minors
    #> make
    #> sudo make install-modules
    #> sudo vim /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    [add 'options snd_hda_intel model=hp-dv5' sans quotes to the bottom of the file, even if you have a dv4, etc.]
    #> sudo reboot
    Sound is now working 100% on my dv5-1235dx using the 17-May-2009 unstable snapshot, internal mic included. I tried dep01's solution, but had to crank the volume to hear anything, and was still missing system sounds. I appreciate his help, but this didn't seem to actually fix the problem, and it only takes a couple minutes longer to perform a proper driver install.

Thanks again everyone. Hope this helps...

Hi guys

I'm new in ubuntu. I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 in a HP DV5-1235dx laptop.

When I just installed Ubuntu on my laptop my sound didnt work so I fixed it adding this lines to my alsa-base file.

options snd-pcsp index=-2
    options snd slots=snd-hda-intel
    options snd-hda-intel model=hp-m4
    alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel

This fixed my sound problem but my microphone still didn't work. Recently I was looking for a solution to the mic issue and tried the solution above. The result: NO mic and... NO SOUND .

When I go into System -> Preferences -> Sound... Default Mixer Tracks Section I got "Playback: Null Outuput (Pulse Audio Mixer)".

The alsa snapshot that I used to fix the problem was this, then repeated the process using the 17-May-2009 unstable snapshot as mentioned above but the problem persists.

So, now I dont care about the mic issue, I just want to get my audio back LOL. Is there any way to rollback the process I did and get my original driver? or what can I do to get my audio back?? I just dont want to re-install ubuntu again.

Any suggestions???

Thank you very much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Just want to report that this solution worked perfectly for my DV2-1028 (Azalia chipset, codec IDT 92HD75B2X5). I'm curious, when will this make it back in the distribution?

Also, as a side note, the sound was working fine in 8.10, and only after the upgrade the problem started showing up. So, an alternative solution for the sound, is to downgrade to 8.10 (my video playback had issues in Ipex, but for some of you, that might not be an issue).

Thanks again,
    Eigenman

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by uhappo View Post
    I have HP Pavilion dv5-1035-eo

All I did was
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    Code:
    alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
    options snd-hda-intel model=hp-dv5
    options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1
    Nothing else, and after reboot sound works, wuhuu!!!

Immediately laptop mic is working also!
    Quote Originally Posted by flavanoid View Post
    I have a dv7-2040us and I upgraded alsa to 1.0.20 using instructions here:

http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/20...tu-jaunty-904/

Then I added the model=hp-dv5 stuff to the alsa-base file and all was good!

I don't know if upgrading alsa was necessary but I did it before I found this thread!

Thanks and I hope this helps someone out!

Edit* The upgrade to alsa 1.0.20 is necessary!
    Thanks Guys! This is what I needed to solve my system's audio problem! I also learned some new BASH tricks from the website that you referenced, flavanoid.

Beans
    Distro

Hey everyone... Maybe someone has experienced this with this solution. I could use some help.

I have a dv4-1225dx (AMD platform) and followed the original solution exactly. It solved the issue of no sound coming through my speakers, but now my mute button doesn't work properly. The light is always white (on), though Ubuntu's notifier shows mute going on and off. However, the speakers never turn off. In addition, plugging headphones in does not mute the laptop speakers.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

I just upgraded kernels and the sound stopped working again. Do I need to recompile from the tarball again and re-install?

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast