Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best webmail?

Beans

Best webmail?

This question is not directly related to Ubuntu but I hope ubuntu users might have some insight.

I am using gmail now and it works great but I'm really concerned that google is storing all my private information. Does anyone know of a webmail service with a reputation for privacy? From my experience, yahoo and hotmail fill up with spam so I wouldn't be interested in either of those. Of course I would need something compatible with firefox and ideally thunderbird or evolution also. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Best webmail?

I don't have any experience with Hotmail, but I use Yahoo, and am actually rather impressed with its spam filters. I hardly get any spam except through other accounts that I have forwarded to my Yahoo account (which is, of course, the fault of the spam filters on those other accounts).

Beans

Any webmail system has to store your private information. How do you expect them to deliver you emails if they aren't stored any where? What are you actually worried about?

I would be much more worried about what Yahoo does with its info.

Beans

Go hotmail(Microsoft) probably the safest route.

Beans

I was hoping for one that's not one of the "Big Three"--Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail. And how can you not be worried about some huge corporation storing your personal information forever (even after you've "deleted it")?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It's a trade-off. Big email providers are more likely to have better features (such as spam filters) because of better funding, more active development, and a larger user base. Smaller email providers may be more conscientious about how they use your personal information. On the other hand, they may be more likely to sell that information as an easy revenue source.

If you're really that concerned about privacy, set up your own email server. Numerous free mail server programs are available, several of which have web interfaces. They may not have all of the features you're used to in the larger email providers, but you'd be in control of your own information.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thumbs down Re: Best webmail?

and all those big email provider just will reason out that they need your information to provide better service and blah blah blah...
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare

Linux User #484611 | Ubuntu User #26153 | Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mb_webguy View Post

If you're really that concerned about privacy, set up your own email server. Numerous free mail server programs are available, several of which have web interfaces. They may not have all of the features you're used to in the larger email providers, but you'd be in control of your own information.
    Sounds good! Where can I learn more about some of these programs? Thanks!

Beans

If your setting up your own webmail I'm particularly partial to 'roundcube'. Slick ajax interface, simple to setup and maintain, mysql DB backend support, can be hosted separately from your mail server -- there is a lot to like.

http://roundcube.net/

--Mak

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Honestly Ive used Yahoo (and now AT&T Yahoo) so long, it does just fine for me.
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast