Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vmware

Beans

Vmware

Hello i would like to have some help with installing vmware on ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy). i like ubuntu alot and therefore want it as my main OS because it never gives me problems with anything and i dont have to reboot after any small thing has been installed (which is great). there are other people that use this computer also and even tho im trying to wing them off and go towards ubuntu they have not gotten quite use to it enough to feel comfortable "yet". im thinking vmware would be the way to go since once installed i can boot xp and not have to worry about rebooting the computer or even what they do on the xp image since it wont effect my ubuntu. i have installed windows and then installed vmware on xp and used ubuntu that way but thats not what i want. i simply feel more safe with main OS as ubuntu and run xp off an image of course, but im not quite up to par with the commands yet on how this is done. so im asking you for some help please to accomplish this with crystal clear directions. i don"t mind waiting a few days to go through the replies and info any of you post to do this. i rather do it right the first time then 10 times incorrectly. thank you for taking the time to read this and i look forward to all your replies.

Beans

Re: Vmware

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    virtualbox-2.1: Depends: libqt4-network (>= 4.4.3) but it is not installable
    Depends: libqtcore4 (>= 4.4.3) but it is not installable
    Depends: libqtgui4 (>= 4.4.3) but it is not installable
    E: Broken packages

after i got to the last option to do using this in terminal, "sudo apt-get install virtualbox-2.1" i got the above
    Last edited by 9teen99; February 16th, 2009 at 12:00 PM.

Beans

Do i need to update to a new ubuntu OS to make this work since im using 8.04 ?

Beans

Have you tried using synaptic instead of apt-get? I find it gives you a better idea of what is going on. If the packages that you need aren't on the list shown in synaptic then you might need to get another repository.
    In my opinion you should update to 8.10 any way. I have found no problem with it and I use it everyday.

Beans

unfortunately synaptic says the same thing

virtualbox-2.1:
    Depends: libqt4-network (>=4.4.3) but it is not installable
    Depends: libqtcore4 (>=4.4.3) but it is not installable
    Depends: libqtgui4 (>=4.4.3) but it is not installable

also what does this mean ?

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
    Last edited by 9teen99; February 16th, 2009 at 01:07 PM.

Beans

The second bit means that you have another package management program (such as synaptic or the Debian Installer) open and running. This is using the dpkg thing.

To solve the first problem add these two lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list (or add them using software sources program)

deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid main restricted
    deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid main restricted

This will add the intrepid repos but you don't have to install intrepid to use some of the packages.

give it a go but if it asks you to upgrade a silly number of packages then leave it be.

Beans

Thank you for that, it installed perfect it says to start virtualbox from system tools but the icons not there ? any help thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!

type in a terminal

killall gnome-panel

then check again, if the icons are installed or not.

if not, then press alt+f2, "VirtualBox" (preserve the case).

you can manually create a shortcut with the above command.

Beans

killall gnome-panel did the trick thanks alot for the help guys this place is great !!

Beans

I did notice 655 new updates after installing virtualbox, is this normal ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast