Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is ubuntu your favourite?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

is ubuntu your favourite?

well ubuntu is the first OS i have used other than windows and i love it(far better than windows) and i was just wondering if it's the best one. i have heard a it is but i also here the same for debian and opensuse.

i know this will be widely down to opinion.

thanks
    CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 4.2GHz| GPU: GTX 780| Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LX | RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
    i dont know, all this power and i'm still playing nethack

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: is ubuntu your favourite?

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of alternatives to Windows.

Ubuntu is one, and IMO, it is well suited for those making the switch.

These days I use Ubuntu to help out more accurately and efficiently around these Forums, but use FreeBSD for most of my personal work as well as my server needs.

"Best", as you have said, is a matter of opinion, which is based on user need and preference. The other systems you mention, and others, offer interesting and viable alternatives to Ubuntu. If you are looking to try more, I suggest installing VirtualBox and testing, though for the most part, the main differences the average user will notice would be the inclusion/lack of a central control center, package management system, and default desktop environment.

Cheers!
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans

I think sorivenul summed it up perfectly, if you're are happy with Ubuntu then it's the best for you. Of course in certain circumstances some distros are better suited than others. For example if you've got an old computer with only 128 MB RAM there would most definitely be better choices than Ubuntu. Or if you have really specific needs, such as a Linux firewall distribution then you could consider things like IPCop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have been using Ubuntu 8.04 since it came out. Ubuntu 8.10 had issues. I recently found Mint 6 based on Ubuntu 8.10, a somewhat better OS.
    Read below.

http://www.bitburners.com/articles/l...uck-less/4329/

Rich
    Linux path. Lindows/Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu 8.04, Mint 6/Mint 7.
    No Gates or Windows

Beans

My favorites are NetBSD and SliTaz. The beauty of open source systems is that we can all choose what works for us.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It is by virtue of the fact I only needed to sort out some simple problems to get it stable and fully functional. But having had so much fun since the main install with all the tweaking and personalizing it I also fancy trying others out. For this I would like a second PC Just to try other Linux flavours out. I have had a go with cruncheee, fluxflux, fedora and mint as live usb OS's on my eee but ubuntu stays The forum is also another reason this OS is my favourite. My main PC has 8.04 only on it but at the moment it's got a blown PSU

regards

Fenris
    "Windows Vista Sir?"
    "No thanks, I'd rather shove wasps up my nostrils!"

Beans

i've tried other versions of linux via live cd and vm and never bothered to do a full install of them so yeah

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ubuntu is one of my favourites. my absolute favourit is debian. no doubt about that. the other distributions i just use becouse the are they most suited for something like i found that crnch bang is the absolutte best for my asus eeepc and i use it as a mediacenter also on a ordinary computer i have got a tv card for.
    debian is on my new computer and i have ubuntu on my laptop. which will stay until it breaks if ever it should do that. then i have the debian lenny stable dvd ready
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thanks for the replys guys, what does debian have to other that ubuntu doesn't?
    CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 4.2GHz| GPU: GTX 780| Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LX | RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
    i dont know, all this power and i'm still playing nethack

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ubuntu is based on debian. debian is a bit more old fashion but way faster and more stable. and it takes a tiny bit more manual configuration but the rewards are many as it is lightning fast and stable. and there is no way i am ever going to try install anything else as the first try on a older computere since these debian installs on older hardware is for me often the fastest way to bring a old computer to live again. for newer computers it is eq great of course. i just installed lenny stable on my new computer. i always used etch as my main OS and office.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast