Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ext3 data partition

Beans

Re: ext3 data partition

Hey, caue.rego. I think I have your answer.

So this is a really old post that nobody is likely checking anymore but I think I know and answer so here goes in case you still care (unlikely) or in case somebody else Google this issue again and this helps them (more likely).

Note: I am far far from a Ubuntu pro (it's not even the distro I use) but I think it is a more general Samba question.

Issue: Every time a computer from your network connects to the shared hard drive the server gives that user the "ownership" of the file it creates. Like you said, that is annoying for anyone else who wants to change the file. Note: The following solution only works if You really are willing to give full read/write permission to every computer with access to your server as the original poster said they were (this is likely true for most home networks).

Solution:
    1) On your server hit Alt-F2 keys
    2) Select the "run in terminal" box and then type:

sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

3) After you hit the "run" button a terminal window should open that requires you to enter your password. Do so. Also, note the "login" name of the account it listed when it asked you for the password. We'll call it "LoginABC".

4) The gedit will have opened your smb.conf file. Early in the file you will see a line that says [global] in brackets. Add the following line below the [global] term, "force user = LoginABC"

It should now look like this:

[global]
    force user = landfill

5) hit save and close the editor. You are done. I am a rookie at this stuff but I believe you have just told your server to ascribe the same login to everyone who uses the shared drives on your system. It will still only give "LoginABC" ownership of the files but since it thinks everyone is "LoginABC", that really isn't a problem anymore.

Let me know if this helps anyone. I am new to this stuff but I have been helped by enough people on forums that it would be nice to know I had helped another.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Maggiedog; April 19th, 2010 at 02:52 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12