Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So...what's Debian?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

So...what's Debian?

who uses it and what are its benefits?
    use adobe products? click here!

Wenn du der einzige bist, den sie sehen, bist du der Sieger.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: So...what's Debian?

Debian is what Ubuntu is made from. Many people use it for Servers and also as Desktop systems. It is very stable, and comes with a lot of free software. If you like a bleeding edge system, then Sid is for you. If you like a very stable system than Etch, or Lenny is for you. Basically Debian is Ubuntu's Daddy, or big sister.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

perlluver pretty much nailed it.
    Debian is mostly focused on stability and not on user friendliness like Ubuntu. Being that it's so stable servers and people who want really reliable machines mostly use Debian.

Blog | I'm available for programming contributions. C & Python.
    Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA x58 SLI | NVidia GeForce 8600 GT | WD 500GB HDD | Corsair XMS3 3GB | Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

I used Ubuntu for several months thinking it was awesome, the fastest OS i've ever used and that nothing else would surpass the speeds.

Then I tried out Debian as the idea of building up everything myself sounded great. Now I use it instead of Ubuntu, it's a hell of a lot faster & cleaner.

Some things in Debian are a bit more harder to do than Ubuntu, some things I miss, like the auto-installation of wireless & network drivers, but by them not being there, I have learned alot more about how the OS works and can use this advantage to increase performance.

It is very stable imo, don't think i've crashed once, other than PulseAudio causing problems but that always happens for me on any version of Linux, should really try and sort it at some point.

I use my installation of Debian for the regular browsing with FireFox, MSN, Downloading, 3D model editing, Web Design, running a web-server & gaming to some extent. All that are possible with Ubuntu. Basicly it is pretty much the same, just without all the stuff that makes Ubuntu seem bloated, that being all the software that makes it so user-friendly.

I'm not saying Ubuntu is bad in any way, I genuinely enjoyed the time I spent with it and have recommended it to others.

Beans

Whats Debian?
    You are using it, well sort of.
    Debian is one of the oldest distros out there, its focussed on stability and the ideals of Open source by steering clear of most closed source stuff.
    Ubuntu differs itself by including certain drivers that debian would not include by default.
    Debian stable is a workhorse, it only updates when its needed.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

SunnyRabbiera pretty much said it all.

Debian is, other than Slackware, one of the longest surviving Linux distributions. It is well tested, the main releases are highly stable, and it provides one of, it not the largest default package bases of any distribution.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans

Hi Sorivenul,

Quote Originally Posted by Sorivenul View Post
    Debian is, other than Slackware, one of the longest surviving Linux distributions.
    In fact I believe Debian was officially released on 16 August 1993 while Slackware's release was on 16 July 1993. So I guess you could easily call them of equal age.

Andrew

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    So I guess you could easily call them of equal age.

Andrew
    Just like 1 = 2, right?

People are prideful about their distribution of choice. It doesn't matter how much older one is, all that matters is that, it is in fact, older.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by namegame View Post
    Just like 1 = 2, right?

People are prideful about their distribution of choice. It doesn't matter how much older one is, all that matters is that, it is in fact, older.
    You left out Stable & Reliable

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Here's a nice picture about Linux timelines.

Link: futurist.se

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast