Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neglected Firefox on Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Neglected Firefox on Linux

I found this today, I had long known that Safari installed with Wine worked far faster than Firefox natively, however i had never tried Firefox on wine. This article is what im talking about;

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/brow...-linux-firefox

As you can see, it appears that Firefox on Linux has been neglected, forgotten, if you will, and superceded by Windows. This isnt right, what are other peoples opinions on this? Is it just me, (dualbooting XP) or is Firefox generally slower on ubuntu? (Or any linux distro??)

Discuss
    A computer is only as powerful as the user who uses it.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Neglected Firefox on Linux

This also seems popular with the Digg crowd!

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Firefox_F...ne_Than_Native

Some of the comments are quite interesting...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Wow-o. I can't believe FF is that faster on windows... and faster on WINE than Native?!?! wtf mozilla. =[

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Aflack View Post
    Wow-o. I can't believe FF is that faster on windows... and faster on WINE than Native?!?! wtf mozilla. =[
    I use FF on Windows at work and FF on Linux at home, and I haven't seen one "faster" than the other in real-world use.

Is this another techno-wank issue where some useless benchmark shows that some particular page loads and displays in 0.2 seconds on one platform but 0.25 seconds in the other?
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro

One thing ive noticed is that if i close firefox on linux then restart it, it takes a while, whereas on windows its almost instantanious. When Chrome comes to Linux i will be very interested to see how fast that works. I agree that a couple of miliseconds doesnt really matter, but ive noticed its been a couple of seconds, which, by the end of the day, reached numerous minuets. *internet addict*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I absolutely agree!

*We don't even have native looking firefox in linux to start with. Sure it looks like GTK but it's full of minor glitches.
    *Copy/paste doesn't work properly.
    *Slow as OP said
    *There is the random right-click bug which is a few years old now: unsolved and irritating!

EDIT: If I could somehow replace my addons with other applications I would never return back to firefox. Epiphany is good enough.
    Last edited by cb951303; February 15th, 2009 at 01:27 PM.

Beans

I don't agree. I use firefox both in windows and linux and never experienced a noticeable speed difference. About the looks of firefox in linux, I find it looks like any other gtk app and don't notice any glitches.
    Disclaimer: I am currently suffering from severe CSD (Compulsive Sarcasm Disorder).
    My Site | Linux User #452328 | Running Arch Linux on Sony Vaio VGN-SZ61XN/C since October 2008

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The only issue I have with firefox is the (on archlinux using the official package) delay when starting it and the second or two delay before it loads the homepage. That's it (didn't happen in Ubuntu, I'm going to assume it's a config or archlinux issue, doing my best to solve it). Not really Mozilla's fault.

Beans
    Distro

Im also sticking with Firefox because of the addons, theres a few i cant do without, the right click bug has happened to me before, but thats the only real glitch. The main thing for me is the speed pages load. I do notice they take a few seconds longer, especially compared to Safari on Wine. I recommend you all give Safari or Firefox on Wine a try, and see what you think speed wise, see if we all notice a difference?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBellisBrown View Post
    I found this today, I had long known that Safari installed with Wine worked far faster than Firefox natively, however i had never tried Firefox on wine. This article is what im talking about;

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/brow...-linux-firefox

As you can see, it appears that Firefox on Linux has been neglected, forgotten, if you will, and superceded by Windows. This isnt right, what are other peoples opinions on this? Is it just me, (dualbooting XP) or is Firefox generally slower on ubuntu? (Or any linux distro??)

Discuss
    Unless I'm reading that chart wrong, I think the author's conclusions are backwards. While it's not labeled, considering the context of the article, I'd assume that the numbers on the vertical axis are in milliseconds -- which means that the lower the number, the faster the browser. So according to the chart, Firefox on Windows and on Wine are more than 50 millisecond slower than on Linux, not faster. Considering that every other benchmark test I've seen has shown Opera to be slightly faster than everything else tends to support my suspicion...
    Last edited by mb_webguy; February 15th, 2009 at 09:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast