Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Triple Boot Error!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Triple Boot Error!!!

I have a triple boot system that is working fine.
    I went to this site for help: [url]www.neosmart.net/forums and went into the
    subforum called: "freebcd". They solve a lot of peoples triple booting
    problems there.
    They solved mine.
    Last edited by Jack Shankle; February 15th, 2009 at 04:21 PM.

Beans

Thank you caljohnsmith. XP is now booting fine. Yeah, I forgot to change the boot.ini file back to what it was before I changed those lines. It was my attempt to get it working again.

In the end it was testdisk rewriting the BootSector of the partition that fixed the problem.

I'm wondering why we need to set the XP boot options to rootnoverify. Is this just to get GRUB to ignore any boot sector issues?

Thanks again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pyrocloud View Post
    Thank you caljohnsmith. XP is now booting fine. Yeah, I forgot to change the boot.ini file back to what it was before I changed those lines. It was my attempt to get it working again.

In the end it was testdisk rewriting the BootSector of the partition that fixed the problem.

I'm wondering why we need to set the XP boot options to rootnoverify. Is this just to get GRUB to ignore any boot sector issues?

Thanks again.
    I'm not sure of the exact technical difference between "root" and "rootnoverify", because the Grub manual claims that rootnoverify means the partition is not mounted; yet I've used rootnoverify with Linux partitions where they must be mounted in order to access there boot files. I just know from a practical standpoint that "rootnoverify" is less prone to Grub errors than just "root", and it always seems safe to use it with Windows partitions. I would probably have to look at the Grub source code if I really wanted to understand the difference, and I've never bothered. You could ask forum member meierfra, because he knows more about the technical details of things like that than I do. Anyway, cheers and glad XP boots now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12