Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone here tried linux mint?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Has anyone here tried linux mint?

Mint 5 Main Edition is my distro of choice. I have always liked the Mint menu and if you know Windows, you know that the Mint menu is nothing at all like the Windows menu. People tend to make this comparison because of the single panel layout. Why do I need an extra panel taking up screen space?

Mint is more than codecs and artwork. The default packages are different and Mint is much quicker to get set up. I like how I can right click on an iso and get the md5 or upload a file. The bottom line for me is, why should I spend time making Ubuntu how I want it when Mint is already there? I can set up multimedia playback and all the extras on any distribution but why should I?

Mint does not make things like they are in Windows. Install Vista and tell me how many movie trailers or flash videos you can watch out of the box. I tell you the answer, none. Windows does not come with Quicktime or Flash installed. Windows actually does very little out of the box.

Mint is built on a Ubuntu base and guess what, Ubuntu is built from Debian. Ubuntu repackages Debian packages, so is Ubuntu just a brown version of Debian?

Ubuntu, Mint and Debian are separate distributions and each has their own ideas of how a system should be built. I have used all three of these distros, they are all good choices.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by exploder View Post
    Ubuntu, Mint and Debian are separate distributions and each has their own ideas of how a system should be built. I have used all three of these distros, they are all good choices.
    Kind of. If Debian was to disappear, Ubuntu would be in trouble in the long term since they base their packages off Debian unstable. The next release of Ubuntu would be ok, but then after that it would get in trouble as they wouldn't have the Debian base to work from.

If Ubuntu was to disappear, Mint would be totally worthless right away since they only package and host their own Mint applications. They rely on the Ubuntu repos for everything else.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, then Debian needs to stay.......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Kind of. If Debian was to disappear, Ubuntu would be in trouble in the long term since they base their packages off Debian unstable. The next release of Ubuntu would be ok, but then after that it would get in trouble as they wouldn't have the Debian base to work from.

If Ubuntu was to disappear, Mint would be totally worthless right away since they only package and host their own Mint applications. They rely on the Ubuntu repos for everything else.
    Both distributions would have real problems! The point is people keep bringing up the fact that Mint uses Ubuntu packages and I am saying that Ubuntu is using Debian's. Should Mint reinvent the wheel? Mint has a Lead Developer and three community edition maintainers. How many developers does Ubuntu have? Ubuntu has a multi millionaire funding it's project, Mint has contributions from it's users.You get the idea.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Stan_1936 View Post
    Well, then Debian needs to stay.......
    Debian needs to stay anyway. It is a "staple" distribution that many know and love, aside from it being the base for Ubuntu, and in turn, Mint and others.

Mint is a great project, and the Mint tools provide a functionality that is lacking slightly in Ubuntu. It fills a niche for those migrating quite nicely with its preinstalled codecs as well.

If Ubuntu went away, Mint would pull out its Debian-based alpha release, and go to work, I have no doubt.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans

I stick with Ubuntu so I don't have to wait the extra 3 months for a release. Mint's tools offer alot to new users they don't have anything that appeals to me personally, so I stick with Ubuntu.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yeah, the major reason why i am thinking about mint is because i have this chronic sound issue that i cannot repair! If I install mint will it sort of wipe all ubunutu sound settings?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sorivenul View Post
    Debian needs to stay anyway. It is a "staple" distribution that many know and love, aside from it being the base for Ubuntu, and in turn, Mint and others.

Mint is a great project, and the Mint tools provide a functionality that is lacking slightly in Ubuntu. It fills a niche for those migrating quite nicely with its preinstalled codecs as well.

If Ubuntu went away, Mint would pull out its Debian-based alpha release, and go to work, I have no doubt.
    +1 for pointing out the Debian edition of LinuxMint. LM does not need Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have been using Mint 6 for about two weeks and like it a lot. For me, it is better than Ubuntu 8.04. The part I like the best is the DVD player application works right out of the box in my desktop and laptop. Video and sound are great. Had no success with Ubuntu and did a bunch of configuration attempts.
    The wireless application for my laptop works right out of the box also.

I use web based email so no email application issues.

No success with webcam but that is a small issue. Ubuntu webcam I had video but no audio. Never solved.

Plus the green background looks better than the brown. Updates are good.

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_felicia_whatsnew.php

Rich
    Last edited by richg; February 14th, 2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Mode info
    Linux path. Lindows/Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu 8.04, Mint 6/Mint 7.
    No Gates or Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I would stick with Ubuntu.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12