Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone here tried linux mint?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Has anyone here tried linux mint?

What do you think of linux mint and why do you stick with ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Has anyone here tried linux mint?

As they say, opinions vary ... so this is just mine ...

Linux Mint is one of several distros that attempts to make the migration from MS Windows to Linux easier by providing both a more familiar environment and automatically installing a lot of stuff that MS Windows users are used to having by default.

A similar Linux project is PCLinuxOS. They have a couple of different 2008 distros, one using Gnome desktop, the other using KDE desktop. And, they're working on a new 2009 distro.

As to Ubuntu, I use it because it doesn't install lots of stuff and I've been around it long enough to know how to find the stuff I need. Plus, it has a really great support community.

You can end up in the same place using any of these three distros (in terms of functionality available on the desktop), it's just that Ubuntu requires more work on your part to get there.

If you're going to experiment with Linux, I suggest you try live CDs of all three to see which one best suits what you need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm using Linux Mint 6 and enjoy it. As it is a Ubuntu "derivative", I find myself using it more and more. I'm sticking with Ubuntu as my primary work hardware is Apple, and need the interchangeability among the three systems (2 macs and one laptop). I don't have any issues with Mint, just not able to use it across the board.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

LinuxMint to me anyway is just a skinned version of Ubuntu with pre-installed codecs, and some more programs installed by default. There's nothing wrong with that, I think LinuxMint is a great distribution of Linux. I think it's great for beginners that have migrated from Windows, as stated above.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Mint is just skinned version of ubuntu (also it has its own menu and some other apps) but it is harder to make a dist upgrade, ubuntu is better for dist upgrading

Beans

Yeah it really should be considered a custom spin of Ubuntu rather than a distribution in its own right.

Beans
    Hidden!

It is begining to move slowly further away from ubuntu, however, and although I have it on a second hard drive just to look at, I still stick with Ubuntu mainly because the forums and community is incredibly good. I have never been a forum user to a great extent in the past, for other computer OSs or anything else, but this one is just the best and has taught me a huge amount about linux and computers generally.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    Yeah it really should be considered a custom spin of Ubuntu rather than a distribution in its own right.
    I wouldn't go that far. The reason it is so hard to do a dist upgrade with Linux Mint is because it has gone so far away from Ubuntu. Now it is much easier to upgrade to the latest Mint edition. Their distro is also much more stable after updates due to a great update manager.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've tried it. I liked it a lot, and it seemed really nice for people that are just learning to use Linux. But the only thing I don't like is that it seems to try to imitate the look of Windows. Ubuntu is a great user-friendly distribution, without losing the "Linux feel" (maybe more like GNOME feel, but whatever).

I also avoid it because although it had many nice improvements over Ubuntu, Ubuntu has a much larger community. And I didn't like the software installer; I couldn't find the "remove/uninstall" button.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I like it. I spend the least amount of time customizing Mint, and just having fun with the distro/working than I do other distro's. Right now I'm on Fedora 10, but once the Intel devs fix up the video tearing, I might have to spend another lengthy decision between Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast