Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on why people stick with a distro?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question on why people stick with a distro?

Hi, I am new to ubuntu and love it.

The question I have is that everything ran perfectly well for me when I had Hardy Heron. Ever since I upgraded to Ibex things began to go a little wrong. Is this why people often stick to one distro?

Are the older distros much more reliable?

I often see people sticking to one distro and my hunch is that these are the smart guys.

If I had stayed with hardy things would have been fine. Since I upgraded my sound has gone and my login freezes. Very annoying. Well, annoying until I re-install heron.

Any comments?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Question on why people stick with a distro?

Older packages within the older distors are more stable, since people have had time to identify bugs, and the community has time to fix them. Of course, they don't necessarily have the latest features, or support the latest hardware, but this is not an issue if you were happy with an older distro.

I've stayed with Hardy, since it works well for me, and I'm now tired of the 6-monthly cycle. I figure the 2-yearly LTS cycle will be fine for me. And I waited until 8.04.1 before installing Hardy too (most significant package bugs had been fixed by that stage).

I have an Intrepid media centre, which I don't use much, so am happy to tinker with (and break).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Now this is the fun part, "the more problem you get, the more you learn"
    That is the way i see it...

If you Want to stick to hardy it is not necessaraly a bad thing as it is LTS... if you want no issues that might be a better option.

Hope this helps
    POWER: Intel xeon 4x2.66GHz,4GB quad channel ecc DDR400(800MHz),210GB SCSI raid0(6x36GB) 512MB cache.
    PC: Intel E6600 @ 3.24GHz. NVIDIA 9800GT. 2GB DDR @ 833MHz. Ubuntu UE 2.6 64 (10.04)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Each distro has advantages and disadvantages. I have tried most distros and all major ones.

In general updating any OS , including Windows, has risks of breakage. Such is the nature of OS.

Each distro has a way of testing packages.

"older" is not necessarily "better" , no is newer.

In general, if it is not broken, don't fix it.

After running many distros for many years they really are not all that different, 85% is the same across distros.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

I had lots of problems after upgrading from hardy to intrepid, but after a clean install of intrepid (which i were gonna do anyway to shrink and reinstall windows) everything have been working perfectly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by hatten View Post
    I had lots of problems after upgrading from hardy to intrepid, but after a clean install of intrepid (which i were gonna do anyway to shrink and reinstall windows) everything have been working perfectly
    Yeah like you I had loads of problems with upgrading to intrepid. I did do a clean install and for some reason I few things have gone wrong like my sound has gone.....Im not sure what to do exactly, my hunch is that Ibex has issues with certain things.

Hardy is more stable I think....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Intresting comments!

Beans

And Hardy and Intrepid are versions. Ubuntu and Debian are distros.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by glotz View Post
    And Hardy and Intrepid are versions. Ubuntu and Debian are distros.
    Got it

Beans

When you find a distro' that satisfies your needs why change?

I tried lots & stick with Arch, though still have a testing machine for looking at other distro's & their newer versions or whatever.

Interestingly, I think that the Arch user crew here at Ubuntu forums, has played a part in the overall increase in Arch users.

Quite a few old Arch users aren't all that happy about this, (not the Ubuntu part) due to people hitting the Arch forum with dumb questions; questions that are very easily answered & very well answered by a quick search of the Arch wiki.

Part of the Arch way, is about doing it yourself, not having someone hold your hand & give you step by step instructions on how to do something that it is known, that a 2 minutes search of the wiki or a quick look at the news page, will tell you.
    Last edited by handy; February 14th, 2009 at 03:33 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast