Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ReactOS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

ReactOS

what is it exactly? do you use it?

I looked on their website and basically got the idea its a free version of a windows look alike that runs windows programs but

Does it run linux programs?
    use adobe products? click here!

Wenn du der einzige bist, den sie sehen, bist du der Sieger.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ReactOS

i have testet it for a short while. its a windows nt clone. it does not run any linux programs and it does not run windows programs very good unless you down load them form the respotories like you would in linux. there is a windows switcher and more than one desktop and for that inspiration from linux i think good of reactOS. but i can not see any future at all for it sorry to say that.

it is using the wine libraries and if you can imagine a operative system build around wine then you are imagining what reactOS is. its far from being stable and i could not install the drivers for my netcard so i gave up on it. i had it on a virtual machine for some longer time however.

its not something i want to do anymore testing on since i only did it becouse i like turbo pascal and i wanted to use the free basic with it. i do not think that unless someone donates a lot of money and they get a bunch of help testing it that it will ever be released as stabel and usable to play games or use the one piece of properitary software that upgrades to windows vista and 7 and so on will make harder on the user to actually continue using and for those that paid for these things reactOS should become a free alternative but its way too long under development as it is now.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans

It won't run linux programs as it's not linux. Basically it's meant to be an open-source reverse engineered version of windows. Linux was originally made because linus wanted to play with unix and couldn't afford it and didn't like the license behind it. ReactOS is the same thing for windows. I've played with it and unfortunately it's definitely alpha software. I've had better luck running windows programs in wine then I have running windows programs with reactOS. I wouldn't recommend running it as a regular desktop at this time (even the reactOS website says this is a bad idea) but you may want to play with it in a VM environment for experimentation, debugging, development reasons.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans

ReactOS is a great idea. I love that someone is trying to make GINN (GINN IS NOT NT), but they are about 10 years too late. They are working on making something compatible with NT-based operating systems, when unfortunately Vista and Windows 7 are so radically different from NT, 2K, XP that ReactOS is outdated before they even have a solid release. What's worse is that besides being unstable, it has very limited compatibility. Vista has more compatibility with DOS than React does NT. That's really, really sad. Of course, it's a valiant effort, and I wish them the best of luck. I, for one, am happy to use GNU instead.
    if (linux == choice) {lsb != linux;}
    else {linux = windows;}

http://one.xthost.info/aios

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

They are going for a free complete open source clone of windows. They are still in (extreme) alpha stages. Play around with it, it is kinda fun!
    Intel core 2 quad q9300 2.5 Ghz
    8 GB DDR2 800 RAM
    500 GB SATA HD
    NVidia GForce 9800 GTX+

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Every couple of weeks or months there is always a new thread asking about what we think of ReactOS. It is good to still see a interest in it. Though I have tried using it and it has been a dismal failure.

ReactOS could not find my ethernet, no problem I had the driver ready on the disc....right?

Insert disc, ReactOS could not find the disc drive! No ethernet, no internet...ReactOS went into the trash can. However, maybe some of you might have better luck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by I-75 View Post
    Insert disc, ReactOS could not find the disc drive! No ethernet, no internet...ReactOS went into the trash can. However, maybe some of you might have better luck.
    Real Hardware or Virtual Machine?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SonnHalter View Post

Does it run linux programs?
    From my experience with it, it doesn't run any programs. By the time it's stable it will only be able to run antique software for nostalgia purposes
    Last edited by swoll1980; February 14th, 2009 at 08:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hmm ReactOS doesn't seem to be very useful.

I mean some 68% of code runs on Virtual Machines that either Windows or Linux can use as it is. Then consider Mono if that project reaches a high enough stage it will be some 80% of code runs on Linux virtual machines.

Besides that most windows applications that don't run on Linux are proprietary.
    My AJAX apps project: https://launchpad.net/gold-os/
    My Personal Website: http://jhuni.freehostia.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    By the time it's stable it will only be able to run antique software for nostalgia purposes
    It'll be able to run XP Software (Which it can already, but not all of it) by the time it's stable. But need I remind you? XP is NT5, what they're trying to clone is NT4. You'll need Win2000 drivers once stable. Currently though, kernel problems are causing Win2000 drivers to act in undesired ways.
    Last edited by Izek; February 14th, 2009 at 03:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast