Thread: OpenSuse's OpenOffice vs. Ubuntu's OpenOffice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

OpenSuse's OpenOffice vs. Ubuntu's OpenOffice

Hey everyone,

Im currently getting my MBA and have to use A LOT of Microsoft Products...I am attempting to ditch OS X and come completely over to Ubuntu...OpenOffice is stopping me...

Due to OpenSuse's backing by Novell, and their collusion with Microsoft, I have reason to believe they have some proprietary add-ins that bring more compatibility than the standard OO...

My question is, Is Opensuse's version of OpenOffice more compatible with MS formats, etc? Or are they the same?

I tried to install the .rpm w/ alien, but on 2nd thought, I don't think that's a wise idea in this case, Opensuse typically does things quite differently, and I don't think it would be reliable or full-featured...

Please don't turn this into THAT conversation...I am well aware of the Novell/MS deal, and some like it and some don't...I know these things, but when your University demands compatible .ppts and .xls, etc...you do what you must

I don't know how to complile from source, being that the packages on Opensuse Build Service are labeled OpenOffice.src.rpm...

Any help?

Beans

Re: OpenSuse's OpenOffice vs. Ubuntu's OpenOffice

The newer openoffice.org (version 3.x) has good support for Microsoft formats, even the newer ones. I was reading a few pages about novel's openoffice including this one (http://www.novell.com/products/deskt...tures/ooo.html), and found no information about proprietary code being used to increase compatibility. I think you should try openoffice in ubuntu first and see how it goes. You can also find information with google about making openoffice even more compatible, probably by installing more fonts??

Beans
    Distro

Ya, I agree...I am reinstalling w/ 3.0 and will try the idea of fonts...

I just tried to open this PowerPoint we made the other day, and it didn't render very well, but I'm hoping that it will be good enough for the minimal PowerPoints I actually do...

OpenSuse makes it seem like there is more compatibility, and I even read somewhere that Ubuntu uses the Novell version of OpenOffice...the internet is full of rumors sometimes...

Beans

I was under the impression that both OpenSuse and Ubuntu use the go-oo build of openoffice, which contains some things related to VB and office 2k7 support that the Sun version does not have. I don't know if Novell SLED actually has more yet, (haven't been able to cut through our Novell rep's marketing hype) but if it does those have likely not gotten to OpenSuse.

I'm not sure if the OpenOffice v3 that is available through the launchpad ppa repository is Sun or go-oo.

Beans
    Distro

Okay, that helps...

I just figured the MS/Novell deal, and the OVERHYPE praise of THEIR Openoffice, I was hoping for more compatibility...I'm installing 3.0 now...

Thanks guys, this was one I didn't want to go to Opensuse for...those guys try to feed the kids their candy (Just Kidding Opensuse Rocks in a lot of ways..)

Beans

The openSUSE version is more or less the same as the version in Ubuntu (i.e. they are based on the go-oo.org project sponsored by NOVELL). Many Linux distros use the go-oo.org version rather than regular oo.org.

Beans
    Distro

It's funny, I completely uninstalled all of 2.4, then installed 3.0 from added repos, and I have MORE compatibility now than before...

It's not perfect, but it's much better...thanks guys