Thread: best way to set up a network to share files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

[Solved] best way to set up a network to share files

This is my first post ever on ubuntu forums, so I'm sorry if I'm asking something exceedingly obvious. I'm completely new to the world of ubuntu, though learning a lot. I suspect there are several possible ways to accomplish what I'm trying to do, so I was hoping that if I laid out a scenario, perhaps someone could help me find the best way to set it up so I'm not chasing my tail with thing that wouldn't work anyways.

I have 3 computers running ubuntu hardy heron in a lab at the school where I work. They are mainly used by students to access the internet and write papers. It is a public lab, so each student be sitting at a different computer each time. Should I set up a shared folder (with sticky bits enabled) on one of the computers and put a desktop link to it in each of the student's Desktop folders?

I also have another desktop ubuntu hardy heron computer in my office. Right now it has no monitor, mouse, or keyboard attached to it. If I want to use it I log into it via my laptop using XDMCP. Would it be better to just set that computer up as a server?

Any links, resources, or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
    Last edited by jimmybarcelona; May 4th, 2009 at 09:01 AM. Reason: problem solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: best way to set up a network to share files

right click on the desktop and add a quick launcher,
    use this as the command:
    Code:
    nautilus smb://hello-world/
    Replace /hello-world/ with the actual samba share server, if the students click this it will open the PC with the files.
    you could make a account for every student on the server and hand out passwords, so they can safe / access files on the PC without deleting each-others content.

If you need help making accounts or Creating shared folder, just ask.
    Last edited by ethoxyethaan; February 12th, 2009 at 06:36 PM.
    http://mm-rs.org
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install freedom

Beans
    Distro

Sounds good. Setting up the launcher is definitely doable. Another quick question: We get anywhere from 5 to 20 students a year. Rather than create each account individually and then add the launcher, is it possible to create a group called "students", and possibly tweak a config file somewhere so that whenever I add a new user the launcher will automatically be added to any new user assigned the group "student"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Ok its "Kinda" simple, but you just need to know how,

i'll write you a howto once i figure out how to do it Via command line, since you don't have a monitor on the other PC.

how to:

Code:
    sudo su
    cd /usr/share/applications/
    > students.desktop
    gedit students.desktop
    paste this:
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Version=1.0
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=student-share
    Type=Application
    Terminal=false
    Icon[en_US]=nautilus
    Exec=nautilus smb:///
    Name[en_US]=student-share
    Icon=nautilus
    Comment[en_US]=
    Code:
    chmod 755 ./students.desktop

save in that same terminal after adding all the students (AS ROOT):
    Code:
    cp /usr/share/applications/students.desktop /home/*/Desktop/students.desktop
    Last edited by ethoxyethaan; February 12th, 2009 at 08:26 PM.
    http://mm-rs.org
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install freedom

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: best way to set up a network to share files

alright, I think I got it. I've spent about an hour or more on the internet looking up all of the commands I didn't know. I don't just want to get it done, I want to learn so I can do things like this myself.

"sudo su" allows me to run bash as a root

"cd /usr/share/applications/" obviously changes me into the applications directory, which appears to be a folder containing what I would guess to be all of the applications that every user has access to?

"> students.desktop" When I ran it, it created a file called "students.desktop" I thought that the ">" symbol was used for redirecting output from a command into a file. If it is used without a command preceeding it, is it a shortcut that is equivalent to mkdir, but for files instead of directories?

"gedit students.desktop" This one I knew. It opens the "students.desktop" file in the gedit application in the gui.

All of that stuff I was supposed to paste in there, I didn't understand what it was. I'm assuming it was a program to make the launcher?

"chmod 755 ./students.desktop" Umm... that would change the file "students.desktop" to have rwx permissions for owner (root), and r-x permissions for group and others, correct?

Okay, then I use "adduser" (still working as root) to add all of the students. Correct?

"cp /usr/share/applications/students.desktop /home/*/Desktop/students.desktop" And this command would copy the student.desktop launcher essentially onto the desktop of every user with their home folder in the /home directory, correct? Because of the wildcard (*)? Which by default would be every user on the system, correct?

If necessary, I could avoid having staff folders affected by this by possibly storing all of my staff accounts in /home/staff/USERNAME?

Wow, amazingly, after some time looking things up I think I understand all of that. Thanks so much for the help. It will be a few weeks before I have the complete student registry. So I have some time yet, but I didn't want to wait until the last minute to figure things out. Thanks so much!