Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TinyCore 1.1 is out!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: TinyCore 1.1 is out!

Quote Originally Posted by SunSpyda View Post
    I use DSL as my 'Mini Linux' OS. How does TinyCore compare? Would anyone say that it's better?
    I've been testing TinyCore since 1.1RC1, and 1.1 is now out. I don't care for DSL at all, and prefer TinyCore for my needs. Should I ever acquire another low-end system I wouldn't not hesitate using TinyCore over DSL or Puppy.

I prefer the even more sparse base that TinyCore offers to DSL or Puppy, both of which have given me issues, DSL more-so over the past few releases.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sorivenul View Post
    I've been testing TinyCore since 1.1RC1, and 1.1 is now out. I don't care for DSL at all, and prefer TinyCore for my needs. Should I ever acquire another low-end system I wouldn't not hesitate using TinyCore over DSL or Puppy.

I prefer the even more sparse base that TinyCore offers to DSL or Puppy, both of which have given me issues, DSL more-so over the past few releases.
    How about vs. SliTaz? Tinycore is a bit lighter, but SliTaz seems like a more complete system to me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    How about vs. SliTaz? Tinycore is a bit lighter, but SliTaz seems like a more complete system to me.
    You had to bring this up, didn't you?

Comparisons are all subjective, IMO, as you would probably agree.

That said, I prefer TinyCore over SliTaz from my experience so far. I will not argue that SliTaz offers what is arguably the most complete system for such a small package. However, I prefer the ability to customize completely as opposed to customize a complete system, if you get the drift.

Beans

You had to bring this up, didn't you?

Comparisons are all subjective, IMO, as you would probably agree.

That said, I prefer TinyCore over SliTaz from my experience so far. I will not argue that SliTaz offers what is arguably the most complete system for such a small package. However, I prefer the ability to customize completely as opposed to customize a complete system, if you get the drift.
    I may need to look at TinyCore again. What I like about SliTaz is that, unlike other mini-distros such as Puppy and DSL, it is functional as more than a live CD. Once you look past the 28 MB disk image, it becomes apparent that SliTaz also offers innovative boot scripts and a powerful packaging system. I don't use SliTaz on my desktop just because it's small - I use it because it offers elegance and power that nothing but NetBSD can match for me.

TinyCore is much earlier in development. Does it offer similar possibilities? I'm especially interested in packaging - Tazwok has deeply impressed me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I may need to look at TinyCore again. What I like about SliTaz is that, unlike other mini-distros such as Puppy and DSL, it is functional as more than a live CD. Once you look past the 28 MB disk image, it becomes apparent that SliTaz also offers innovative boot scripts and a powerful packaging system. I don't use SliTaz on my desktop just because it's small - I use it because it offers elegance and power that nothing but NetBSD can match for me.

TinyCore is much earlier in development. Does it offer similar possibilities? I'm especially interested in packaging - Tazwok has deeply impressed me.
    Assuming you have some knowledge of how Linux works, which you do, remastering TinyCore shouldn't be an issue. Look at the TinyCore page on Remastering. It basically involves modifying a cpio archive.

Packages are called "extensions" in TinyCore lingo. See the page on Creating Extensions. As far as the types of extensions go, see the page on TinyCore Concepts.

No doubt you can get the hang of it in no time...

I personally have no doubt that TinyCore is already a great system, and the potential is obvious. Cheers!

Beans

Assuming you have some knowledge of how Linux works, which you do, remastering TinyCore shouldn't be an issue. Look at the TinyCore page on Remastering. It basically involves modifying a cpio archive.

Packages are called "extensions" in TinyCore lingo. See the page on Creating Extensions. As far as the types of extensions go, see the page on TinyCore Concepts.

No doubt you can get the hang of it in no time...

I personally have no doubt that TinyCore is already a great system, and the potential is obvious. Cheers!
    I will read up on this...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I will read up on this...
    I'm sure we'll all be looking forward to your comments afterward.

Beans

My thoughts:

TinyCore is a fine little distro for ancient machines or those who just love the tweakability and tinyness. However, it doesn't offer anything that I find innovative or exciting. Yes, it has a 10 MB image - and that is an incredible achievement. However, I just don't see any reason I would want to use it day-to-day. The packaging system, while decent, doesn't match the power of Tazwok. And while the system is lighter than SliTaz, this is mostly just because of minimal defaults, not an actual cleaner design.

With all that said, TinyCore does interest me and I plan to spend some time playing with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12