Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nova Linux- Cuba's own linux

Beans

Re: Nova Linux- Cuba's own linux

Quote Originally Posted by EdThaSlayer View Post
    Who needs the internet if they have...linux?
    How do they update their OS?
    No internet, or no internet OUTSIDE Cuba? Big difference for a linux user...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Grant A. View Post
    This is probably illegal to install on computers in the U.S., given the United States Travel and Trade Embargo on Cuba.
    You can't export anything from US to Cuba, but as far as I am aware the other way around is legal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The video you linked too doesn't work, but this one does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTXIzaxfox4

I want an English version!! It looks great!

I may not know the language, but if you look at the gksudo window in the demo, it looks as tough there is an option to remember your athourisation for as long as you stay logged in, and some other option. Translation to Enlish: you don't have to type in your password anymore to change system settings/software every 15 minutes!

I hope there is an english version, I am going to search for it. now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Talking Re: Nova Linux- Cuba's own linux

Quote Originally Posted by eragon100 View Post
    The video you linked too doesn't work, but this one does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTXIzaxfox4
    Sorry, because of the smiley I add at the end of the link, it was not working. I deleted that smiley and now link is working.
    Thanks!
    See my photos on Flickr

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    To bad they're not allowed to access the Internet
    EDIT: Oh, sorry, apperently it's Cuba's governement who's not allowing internet use not USA. Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by cb951303; February 12th, 2009 at 10:09 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EdThaSlayer View Post
    Go Communism!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cb951303 View Post
    I didn't know that. Does that mean USA has all the rights of internet? Can't they use an access point from Europe or something?
    Actually the country is served by something like a 50mbps link. The whole country. 50mbps. Whole country. So they have Internet and I don't they they are legally not allowed on it so some reason it's just impossible to give it to all citizens.

With Castro gone and Raul already enacting some reforms mybe Obama will improve relations between USA and Cuba. It would be a major milestone if it were to happen. And then since they will be able to do trade with USA they'd be able to connect to USA Internet backbones very easily. And then they can update their Linux distro. So as you can see this post has to do with politics related to FOSS.
    Proud GNU/Linux zealot and lover of penguins
    "Value your freedom or you will lose it, teaches history." --Richard Stallman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by phrostbyte View Post
    Actually the country is served by something like a 50mbps link. The whole country. 50mbps. Whole country. So they have Internet and I don't they they are legally not allowed on it so some reason it's just impossible to give it to all citizens.

With Castro gone and Raul already enacting some reforms mybe Obama will improve relations between USA and Cuba. It would be a major milestone if it were to happen. And then since they will be able to do trade with USA they'd be able to connect to USA Internet backbones very easily. And then they can update their Linux distro. So as you can see this post has to do with politics related to FOSS.
    I edited my post after reading some enlightening articles.
    Apprenetly USA doesn't allow cuba to use fiberoptics in cuba coast. But cuban government uses it as an excuse to limit internet use in the country. Complicated stuff

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by eragon100 View Post
    You can't export anything from US to Cuba, but as far as I am aware the other way around is legal.
    Try getting Cuban cigars back into the USA. I'm pretty sure the trade embargo works both ways.
    Dihydrogen Monoxide has killed more people this year due to overdose than murder, yet we do nothing about it..

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Beans

I just can't understand why this didn't happen before... Venezuela did some outstanding stuff with the money they save not paying for windows anymore. See venezolana de industria tecnológica...

Brazil is another example...

Hope that more countries start understanding what technological sovereignity means once and for all
    My gtk themes | Help little bunny take over the world by pasting it on your signature:
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast