Thread: Problem with installing drivers for ati hd6850

Beans

Unhappy Problem with installing drivers for ati hd6850

Hello, newbie here.

First of all, i've never had luck with linux (tried to get it running (in "everything is pefect" mode) several times in my life, yet im still stuck with windows...), so dont get suprised if it will be 'tragical case'.

Recently i decided to try once more. I went for xubuntu 12.04. Everything was pretty good until i realised that im running in 1024x768 mode, tried to switch that in options but its capped at 1024x768.

"it begins" part.

So I've decided to set out on my journey for looking for some drivers for my AtiCard
    I'll lay down everything in numbered list as representation of steps i have made. Hope it will be easier to read.

1. Tried to install it trough "Hardware Drivers" (not sure if i recall corectly name of that app + im on widows currently so i cant rly look it up, hope you know what i mean). So it downloaded some things, then installed it giving no errors whatsoever, told be to reboot, so i rebooted, after grub, it started to load os in normal way (you know... shiny bar + big "xubuntu" sign), and after 10-14 sec of loading... BOOM black screen. At this point i didnt knew anything about tty1 so i just reinstalled OS.
    2. then i tried install drivers trough terminal (listed as "Using the Ubuntu repositories (alternate command line method)" in this guide) with same effect. no errors, reboot, black screen, reinstall OS.
    3. then i tried to just download drivers from AMD ATI page and execute it trough terminal (not sure if that was said correctly ;s) using
      Code:
      sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-8.982-x86.x86_64.run
      . Same effect. no errors, reboot, black screen. At this point i read about tty1 (smart man). i managed to uninstall fglrx and reboot into OS correctly but still without drivers.
    4. then i tried to install drivers trough --buildpkg method from same guide. (yup, u guessed it) Same effect.
    5. I though i might be a problem with this specific distro so I tried same thing on fedora (sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-8.982-x86.x86_64.run method), with (ofc) same effect

Just a note: I dont rly care about 3d acceleration... I'll prolly still keep windows for games and some CAD programs. Ofc it would be great if i could play my (currently) full time game (league of legends, can be easily lunched trough wine, so they say), but in fact, all i need is higher resolution, so maybe installing drivers isnt only way to go (maybe i can force it somehow to set higher resolution?).

I googled that problem and searched trough forums, none of it helped (or maybe i cant search). You guys are pretty much my last hope on my jurney with linux.
    PS sorry about my poor english, im not native ("no sh.t sherlock") and im still learning it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Problem with installing drivers for ati hd6850

With the ATI drivers, the most commonly missed item is to initialize xorg.conf.

The instructions in your item #2 above give instructions for doing that.

Are you absolutely sure you did the step

Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial
    ?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Are you absolutely sure you did the step?
    Wasn't absolutely sure, so i just rerunned whole process. Now i am. Still not working : (.

However here are some things i forgot to mention:

1. Screen goes black cause it stops reciving any signal from graphic card (which means: a) graphic card for some reason is not sending any signal; b) lcd screen is not capable of reading that signal (aka too high resolution or something))
    2. In tty1, when i type
      Code:
      sudo reboot
      it magicly comes back to GUI type loadscreen for 1-2sec and then reboots.

Not sure if that change/mean anything.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Can you tell me a little more about your system hardware?

Is Ubuntu fully updated?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Can you tell me a little more about your system hardware?
    Mobo: Asus P5K-PRO
    CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8200 (not OC'ed)
    RAM: Geil 2gb 800Mhz CL5
    GPU: Gigabye HD6850 (factory OC)
    PSU: Corsair HX 520W
    HDD1: 160gb Seagate (W7 + Xubuntu)
    HDD2: 640gb Samsung F1 (files)
    Everything well cooled.
    Hope i didnt miss anything

Is Ubuntu fully updated?
    Yes it is.