Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want a heavy OS....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I want a heavy OS....

I've been happy with ubuntu but can't help find it flimsy at times. My computer is a gaming computer and has a lot of power. so i want a heavier OS

and when i mean a heavier OS i mean one that won't bog down when Running lots of programs (reasonable number) that ubuntu does not. My system runs great with windows 7.

What distro will give me a new learning adventure with a lot of power and stability.

I'm a graphic artist and programmer (soon). so any suggestions? I already tried fedora and suse,mint. I never tried openSOlARIS so i'm lost on what to choose.
    use adobe products? click here!

Wenn du der einzige bist, den sie sehen, bist du der Sieger.

Beans

Re: I want a heavy OS....

OpenSolaris. It should work great for you.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

1. FreeBSD or the other BSD's.
    a) If you want an easier FreeBSD install, try DesktopBSD.
    2. Slackware
    3. Debian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by SonnHalter View Post
    I've been happy with ubuntu but can't help find it flimsy at times. My computer is a gaming computer and has a lot of power. so i want a heavier OS

and when i mean a heavier OS i mean one that won't bog down when Running lots of programs (reasonable number) that ubuntu does not. My system runs great with windows 7.

What distro will give me a new learning adventure with a lot of power and stability.

I'm a graphic artist and programmer (soon). so any suggestions? I already tried fedora and suse,mint. I never tried openSOlARIS so i'm lost on what to choose.
    i would give Progex a try. it is ubuntu, loaded with every major multimedia app you could ever want. beautifully done, comes with all codecs preinstalled and even compiz fusion works OOTB. ran very fast for me. this is truly an install it and forget distro with lots of "application power".

Beans

You should definitely try Sabayon ! Its got great looks, works fine and does exactly what you want.

http://www.sabayonlinux.org/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mohitchawla View Post
    You should definitely try Sabayon ! Its got great looks, works fine and does exactly what you want.

http://www.sabayonlinux.org/
    I'll second this. I personally didn't enjoy it but that was just me and it is a very nice system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

My computer is a gaming computer and has a lot of power.
    Just curious to know the specs?

Beans

I don't understand what a heavier OS is I never heard that term. I would think it means uses more resources. I would think you would want something lighter to run you games and graphics. less memory and cpu will be use on the interface then.

Beans

Beans

Slackware.

The DVD will install virtually every major app except for OpenOffice. It comes with a decent amount of dev tools. Games install easily (at least Loki games do). I use Slackware on my desktop. The laptop runs both XP and a distro I made myself (with the help of Slackware as a host). Slackware is also the only distribution that is allowed to use the face of JR "Bob" Dobbs.
    if (linux == choice) {lsb != linux;}
    else {linux = windows;}

http://one.xthost.info/aios

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast