Thread: mount.ntfs-3g keeps working

Beans

mount.ntfs-3g keeps working

Even though I'm not using the NTFS partition, mount.ntfs-3g is keeping CPU busy. It makes the CPU graph like a comb. Is there any way I can see what it's doing?

Beans

Re: mount.ntfs-3g keeps working

I seem to be having this issue too...mounted a new hdd, forrmatted to ntfs, rebooted. HDD mounted automatically, moved files to the new partitions,noticed the cpu at 100%....rebooted, ok but then it started up again....one core pegged at 100%....what gives?

darco
    Reason: no beans

Beans

From http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html#highcpu

"Some software indeed do intensive file operations sometimes (Beagle, Amarok collectionscanner, updatedb, Spotlight, etc)."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by szaka View Post

"Some software indeed do intensive file operations sometimes (Beagle, Amarok collectionscanner, updatedb, Spotlight, etc)."
    Hey man thanks....I added this line from the link you provided:

VMware is not using "mainMem.useNamedFile=FALSE" in the .vmx file.

and so far it looks fine...

darco
    Reason: no beans

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by szaka View Post

Well, is there any way to figure out which software is making use of NTFS3G? I don't have any of those ones installed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheMyself View Post
    Well, is there any way to figure out which software is making use of NTFS3G? I don't have any of those ones installed.
    Check out the process list.

NTFS-3G never uses any CPU time, only on behalf of other software when it is asked to do so to serve them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi,

after booting my mashine, a dual core with 2 HDD (etx3, ext3, ntfs, ntfs) i can see the cpu load is going up, after a minute after graphical login to gnome.

it is mount.ntfs but only on one of the ntfs partititons. (it is the windows partition, the other ntfs partition just stores files).
    (It i not trackerd, I told it not to scan anything)

So i need to kill the pid of that process. After that, in gnome the windows partition is not mounted. when i mount it (by clicking on that hdd symbol in gnome) everything works fine. (no mount-ntfs problems)

What is the reason for that? The problem wasn´t always there. it just came one day.

Beans

Mount the NTFS volume from the command line with the 'debug' mount option like
    Code:
    sudo mount -t ntfs-3g -o debug DEVICE MOUNTPOINT

where 
    DEVICE is an NTFS partition, like /dev/sda1
    MOUNTPOINT is an existing directory like /mnt/windows_d
    then NTFS-3G will show what files are accessed and how, so you can figure out what program is accessing the NTFS volume. Maybe it's Nautilus scanning the directory tree.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

good idea! i´ll do that. is it possible put that into fstab? because the "error" comes after booting. if i mount the device after killing mount.ntfs once, there is no special cpu load according to ntfs.

Beans

Add the debug option to the others. The log hopefully will go to the 1st terminal.