Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OpenSuse = Windows Vista for linux?

Beans

OpenSuse = Windows Vista for linux?

Hey there,

I was dual booting ubuntu and OpenSuse for awhile just to try out some of the different linux distros, and i pretty much hated suse It was slow, laggy, crashed a lot and generally a pain in the butt. I hated the guts out of all of my drivers, audio and video. And it didn't seem to care to much for system stability. Sorry if any of you out there are big fans of OpenSuse, but im just curious to see if anyone else had en experience like I did with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: OpenSuse = Windows Vista for linux?

It was just way to slow for me, thanks to Yast. I prefer to use Ubuntu, Or a debian derivative, they seem to be faster, and catch dependencies better. But that just might be me.

Beans

SUSE was ok for about the 3 hours I used it xD. Just preferred Mandriva and Kubuntu that's all

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by perlluver View Post
    It was just way to slow for me, thanks to Yast. I prefer to use Ubuntu, Or a debian derivative, they seem to be faster, and catch dependencies better. But that just might be me.
    Last time I tried it was like OpenSuse 11.1 but I agree with what you said and had the same experience. I expect more out of a company like Novell.

Beans

Oh, how I HATED Yast. If your not careful that thing will screw up your partition by recommending all the wrong mount points and flags. I also really didn't like the UI a whole lot

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post
    Last time I tried it was like OpenSuse 11.1 but I agree with what you said and had the same experience. I expect more out of a company like Novell.
    But then again Novell works a lot with Microsoft...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The KDE version of openSUSE, though pretty, gave me headaches. The GNOME version was a vast improvement for me actually, and very few issues, though I'm not a fan of YaST2. SLED gave me far fewer issues.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sorivenul View Post
    The KDE version of openSUSE, though pretty, gave me headaches. The GNOME version was a vast improvement for me actually, and very few issues, though I'm not a fan of YaST2. SLED gave me far fewer issues.
    I ran gnome from the start as I'm not a huge fan of KDE, although ill use it when in comes to something like slackware.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yast2 is very much a love/hate thing. Personally, I find Yast more usable than Synaptic, although I like debians over rpms...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Yast2 is very much a love/hate thing. Personally, I find Yast more usable than Synaptic, although I like debians over rpms...
    Yea i guess so...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast