Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OpenSuse = Windows Vista for linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: OpenSuse = Windows Vista for linux?

Quote Originally Posted by RedDwarf View Post

A patent co-op has nothing to do with an NDA, what are you talking about???
    A Non Disclosure could've done the same thing... Instead of signing anything related to patents. "Before you look at how RPC works, sign this" kind of thing. No, it took the EU to get MS to commit to Samba signing NDAs. Everyone else sign a patent deal? I don't get it.

Yeah, I feel the same way, why wouldn't anyone want to look behind the curtain. I mean it's only companies that use Linux/FOSS that are getting duped into signing: Brother (Linux-friendly), LG (mobile division), Xandros (they have an Exchange-type service), et al.

Patent frenzy:
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...0PatentPR.mspx

Registered Linux User #419773, Ubuntu User #8473 ("It Is What It Is")

If you type rm -Rf / as root at command line you will get herpes... then die... (okay, it'll erase ALL your data)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dca View Post
    A Non Disclosure could've done the same thing... Instead of signing anything related to patents. "Before you look at how RPC works, sign this" kind of thing. No, it took the EU to get MS to commit to Samba signing NDAs. Everyone else sign a patent deal? I don't get it.
    A Non-Disclosure Agreement is designed to protect information that has been shared in confidentiality. Confidentiality is only worthwhile if it were, well, confidential.

A patent, on the other hand, is in the realm of public records. It must be so that people know not to copy something you've patented. If you obscure a patent, then you cannot legally enforce your rights should somebody unknowingly copies it.

Anybody with the interest to view a patent may check with the Patents office/bureau/department in their country as well as those in other countries.

You can sign an NDA on patents but that would be pointless since anyone who cares to know can already find out. It would be like telling someone that the sky is blue and then making them sign an agreement not to tell anyone else this 'secret'.

Beans

I think it was kinda slow, and upgrading to KDE 4.2 sucked, there were a few errors and KDEmod's implementation of KDE was better(IMO). I wouldn't call it the Vista of distros, but it certainly could use some improvements. The studio thing they have planned seems nice though.
    Software should be smart, not clever

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    openSUSE 11.1 doesn't support JFS. Deal-killer for me.
    Novell SuSE Linux Enterprise Server does, I remember it being an option.

I'm not sure about OpenSuSE, but Novell SuSE Linux Enterprise Server was very good for me. I found it to be stable, reliable, fast and consistent. The KDE/Gnome GUI looked good on it. It is commercial, but I didn't pay for it, as I got it off a pirate site (Who would PAY for an OS?).

Now I use Debian instead for Linux.

I can't imagine that there is a big difference between OpenSuSE and SuSE Enterprise Server, since they are both SuSE distros... What are the differences between them?
    Last edited by SunSpyda; February 15th, 2009 at 10:12 PM.
    "The Map is Not the Territory" - Alfred Korzybski

Beans

Well Im writting this from Suse 11.1...At first it looked ok.For the first 15 minutes at least.The screen resolution is ill kinda weird to configure.I select 800x600 kai it blows up my screen by making it 1600x1200(which my monitor doesnt support)and then freezes.No multimedia out-of-th-box suport(I was kinda used to Sabayon)which again,i find ridicoulouw as its a DVD Dsitro.Couldnt they include 20MB worth of codedcs?Generally I find the selection of tools limited.Way too limited.Bad thing with Sabayon,is that I could make the key bindings to work,so if i wanted to cahnged languages,I hd to go with themouse to do it manually.Anyway...No Suse for me.Im still looking for something better.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123