Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how do you arrange your folders in home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: how do you arrange your folders in home

I arrange them by the number of letters in the name of the folder.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans

Re: how do you arrange your folders in home

Left a couple out for embarassment reasons

Code:
    ~/ ls
    audio  dev  documents  downloads  ebooks  heritage  images  torrents  videos
    ~/audio/ ls
    music  playlists  podcasts  radio
    ~/dev/ ls
    ruby  web design
    ~/downloads/ ls
    distros  software
    ~/ebooks/ 
    historical  Mieville, China  misc
    ~/images/ ls
    *  *** ******  ***  me  misc  scrots  wallpapers
    ~/torrents/ ls
    distros
    ~/videos/ ls
    movies  television series
    dnyy in IRC
    #! & ArchLinux
    Last.FM & Twitter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thanks for the input. i just wonder why ubuntu creates all these folders when it installs and it recreates the same folders when you do a dist-upgrade. i never found out what they are for and i wonder if anyone even uses them. in crunch bang using open-box the folder layout is more simple but i still do not use them as they are as the default installtion creates them. in debian you just create the ones you want or need and that i like the best.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans

I mount all of my storage folders/partition via NFS under /home. Everything other than these generally ends up in a 'temp' folder on my Desktop. Folders shared via NFS are 'Media' for audio/video files, 'FTP' for files currently available on my ftp and 'Keep' for personal/work related items.
    Quote Originally Posted by *snip*
    I love it when people stop trying to help me and I just uninstall ubuntu because of it . . .

Beans

music, pictures and documents for backup reasons (they are on /media/music /media/pictures and /media/documents).

kmess_recevied for files sent over msn (I hate spaces in directories makes it harder to cd to it)

soundKonverter for converting audio files and $Artist for k3b rips

kmess for kmess and svn updating

Beans

Bah ! I throw everything in /home, no organization whatsoever. Sometimes it gets terrible, but that's okay.

Beans

i have

IMG : which contains isos or images made using DD
    Pics: which contains pictures
    Scripts: Contains Scripts
    Text: Contains Random notes in txt format
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i really never got into the home folder thing. just like i never used my documents, my music, etc. in windows. i just make a couple folders on my desktop (yeah, i know technically it's still in home) that i backup every 2 to 3 days. the only 2 things i care about in home is my .mozilla and .mozilla-thunderbird config files.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Since I have several linux distros installed I use a /data partition for my stuff. I use a basic Music, Pictures, Info (various text files), and some other stuff. The other "stuff" is various tidbits of linux knowledge that I have picked up over the last 3.5 years. So I have directories named Ubuntu-stuff, Debian-stuff, Zenwalk-stuff, Slackware-stuff, etc.

One of the first things I do after installing Ubuntu is to delete the pre-installed Pictures, Documents, Music, etc folders that Ubuntu has set up for me in the /home directory. When I first started using Ubuntu (about 3.5 years ago) the home directory did not have those folders already set up. The home directory was blank (except for the .hidden files). I always thought that was just fine, since I could then set up home any way I wanted.
    I would be happier if the Ubuntu devs would not try to decide for me how my home directory should be set up!
    Last edited by tommcd; February 11th, 2009 at 09:18 AM.
    Registered Linux User #422464 http://linuxcounter.net/
    Use the search engine that respects your privacy rights: https://startpage.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tommcd View Post
    I would be happier if the Ubuntu devs would not try to decide for me how my home directory should be set up!
    i feel a bit the same way. but then again i used debian first. the folders i do not understand the uses for are as example the public folder . i could very easy understand if they made a single folder with examples and i actually would like that.

i think its great with the examples in this default folder with some stuff to test out the video player and to print out the cover for the cd but i delete it pretty fast anyway.

if they could make a basic how to use ubuntu and stick in a folder that is created per default install instead of just emty folders with names that suggest predfined uses like public then i could see more of a point in it.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast