Thread: Localhost in gdm chooser list

Beans
    Hidden!

Localhost in gdm chooser list

Hi,

I have a powerful server running hoary with X and GDM, and a small old PC running exactly the same.

The server is not running all the times.

What I'm trying to do is :
    - when booting small_pc, it runs GDM in chooser mode, tries to detect if big_pc is up. If yes, big_pc appears in the chooser list and from here I can reach the GDM of the big_pc via xdmcp
    - when booting small_pc, it runs GDM in chooser mode, and if is sees no one else, it just shows its own GDM.

First part is already solved, the correct options have been put in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf-custom.
    Second part seems not easy, or at least requires scripting, but I'd rather keep using mainstream scripts and packages.

So my workaround would be this simple fact :
    - when booting small_pc, its gdm_chooser could show every xdmcp server of the network, INCLUDING LOCALHOST !

In a doc, I saw this was possible with xdm, but not full sure.
    I'd like to know if this is possible with gdm.

I tried to specify 127.0.0.1 in the list of hosts that have to appear in the chooser, before the broadcast request, but it doesn't show.

Has anyone any advice?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Localhost in gdm chooser list [SOLVED]

Ok, calm down, super cool, I'm answering my own post, let's keep it anyway for further ubuntu xdmcp users :

Just (slap me please) add in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf-custom in the [xdmcp] section :
    Enable=true

My local chooser shows now localhost in the list.