Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please read -longhorn linux!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Please read -longhorn linux!!!

Wow. Even after suffering through the horrible grammar, sloppy paragraph structure, and migraine-inducing overuse of the caps lock key, I still have no idea what this thread is about.

Is it supposed to be some sort of call to bring back the Longhorn Reloaded project, where developers attempted to "finish" development on the original Longhorn builds of Vista and distribute it (illegally) for free?

Is it supposed to be some way to make GNOME look like the early builds of Longhorn?

Or is it supposed to be a way to incorporate the since-removed features of Longhorn into Linux?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jman6495 View Post
    right ...just to clarify
    1.LONGHORN Was NOT Anything Like Windows Vista Or XP
    2.not Longhorn system Files ,Themes
    3.it will make linux look more superspecialawsome

THIS IS NOT A WINDOWS DISCUSSION AS LONGHORN IS ABANDONED AND SO IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH MICROSOFT EXCEPT BY COPYRIGHT OF SYSTEM FILES

Thankyou for understanding...

jman6495
    You want to build a Windows beta without source code on Ubuntu? That's a huge job.

Not much payoff in it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Re: Please read -longhorn linux!!!

Unless I completely misunderstood the OP, (which is completely possible given the clarity of his writing) I think you're misunderstanding what he's saying.

He doesn't want to hack or reverse engineer Windows Longhorn, what he wants to do is theme and pull together the various applets, file systems, and search daemons until the combination resembles what Microsoft promised in those early builds and mockups of Windows Longhorn, and never managed to deliver. Much of the bitterness having to do with Vista was they made the mockups look so good, promised so much, etc etc that when they delivered Vista the average geek felt like they'd been the victim of a bait-n-switch operation. Meanwhile as the tech sites reported daily how some feature or another was being cut from the final release, Linux was adding those things and making them work on common hardware!

What the OP is saying (again, if I'm understanding him correctly) is if we can pull together all the various bits and bobs that were promised in Longhorn and implement them all together in the same desktop theme it would impress all the people who still pine for what could have been.

Personally I don't think it would be too dificult a task if someone were to work hard at integrating the various parts.

Compiz+ Emerald+Beagle+ GNOME Launch Box+Sidebar Screenlet...

If someone took the time and effort to pull these all together I imagine it could look quite good!

--bornagainpenguin

PS: I'd recommend tossing this topic in the themes category, not Windows.
    Have a Virgin Mobile USA smartphone?
    Check these guys out!

Beans

You don't think to do WINFS would be difficult? Microsoft with all its money could not get it to work. I think Sun already has ZFS thats close to WINFS probably better. If only Linux could use it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It doesn't have to be exactly the same, if it was we might run into issues with copyrights. We should be able to get close enough though.... And WinFS isn't as unfeasible as you might think, take a look at this dbfs for instance. I just wish more work would be done on the Gnome end of things... (the developer is more familiar with QT so that's what he used to build his proof of concept) perhaps if there were more interest in this Longhorn concept a Gnome build of dbfs would be more forthcoming?

--bornagainpenguin
    Have a Virgin Mobile USA smartphone?
    Check these guys out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    Well I moved it here from ABT. ABT/ General help are for support questions and Windows Discussions seemed most appropriate to me at the time.

Would you prefer I move it to Desktop themes ?
    Yes Please
    jman6495

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    Wow. Even after suffering through the horrible grammar, sloppy paragraph structure, and migraine-inducing overuse of the caps lock key, I still have no idea what this thread is about.

Is it supposed to be some sort of call to bring back the Longhorn Reloaded project, where developers attempted to "finish" development on the original Longhorn builds of Vista and distribute it (illegally) for free?

Is it supposed to be some way to make GNOME look like the early builds of Longhorn?

Or is it supposed to be a way to incorporate the since-removed features of Longhorn into Linux?
    Yeah .. sorry , i'm only 13 and i have been living in france for a year so ure right.

well ...at least i can install and use linux

in all simplicity i want to create gdm , gtk , emerald... themes for ubuntu plus modified stuff.

Hope this make it more simple

jman6495

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post
    You don't think to do WINFS would be difficult? Microsoft with all its money could not get it to work. I think Sun already has ZFS thats close to WINFS probably better. If only Linux could use it.
    yeah ... i wish it worked.

jman6495

Beans
    Distro

Right ...Modifying First Post so it reflects what i want to say

jman6495

Beans
    Distro

Angry Re: Please read -longhorn linux!!!

I'm Sorry .But Where ever i post this people seem to hate me...
    i just don't understand.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast