Thread: Newbie Help

Beans

Newbie Help

I am a recent convert to Ubuntu (last week) and love it. I have ended up with 2 kernels of Ubuntu 8.10 installed on my primary HD and another on a second HD. Both show up on my GRUB menu when I boot and function fine. Now for the sake of some games for my kids I want to wipe out Ubuntu on the 2nd HD and re-install XP on that drive and have XP as a secondary choice on the GRUB menu. Since I am new I have absolutely no idea how I might achieve this ... if anybody can steer me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Newbie Help

It is advised to use a descriptive topic title, that means a topic title that gives some clue about the content in the thread itself...

A generic topic title like "noob here" or "need help" does not help at all. As you may have noticed, just about everyone posting in here has some kind of a problem or issue or question

And it is also adviced to use seperate threads for unrelated problems so that you can mark each one individually as solved.

Or in short terms: Help others to help you

See the forums policy, especially section II.2: http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy

Also, when you are asked to post output from (config) files or from a command, use [code][/code] brackets around (each) output. That makes it also easier to read.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Newbie Help

Quote Originally Posted by myster36 View Post
    I am a recent convert to Ubuntu (last week) and love it. I have ended up with 2 kernels of Ubuntu 8.10 installed on my primary HD and another on a second HD. Both show up on my GRUB menu when I boot and function fine. Now for the sake of some games for my kids I want to wipe out Ubuntu on the 2nd HD and re-install XP on that drive and have XP as a secondary choice on the GRUB menu. Since I am new I have absolutely no idea how I might achieve this ... if anybody can steer me in the right direction I would be very grateful.
    First install windows. Since MS doesn't play well with others & ignores other operating systems, Win install will rewrite your master boot record (MBR) causing you to have to re-install GRUB using the LiveCD. These forums have a ton of info on how to do that. Just do a quick search.

Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. --Christopher Hitchens