Thread: iTunes & Ubuntu

Beans

iTunes & Ubuntu

I am seriously considering buying a new dell laptop with Ubuntu OS but I want to know if itunes will run on Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: iTunes & Ubuntu

I have heard that certain versions will run under WINE but I haven't tried it. I've been using Banshee with my Shuttles. You don't have access to iTunes Store but I don't use it much anyway so I it doesn't matter to me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Moved to General Help (Apple users is for using ubuntu on Apple branded hardware).
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you need iTunes to play existing DRM-encrypted music, then I'll tell you that there are ways of decrypting your music in Windows. I'm not allowed to specify what they are, but there are programs out there; and the decrypted music will play without drama on Ubuntu. If you need iTunes to load songs onto your iPod, then you don't really need iTunes at all - there are plenty of Linux programs to perform that task.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Side note: Ubuntu does not handle the Apple-touch at all (sees it as a camera..). The database is encrypted.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I did not want to reply because I was hoping that somebody that actually tried it would reply.

I went to the wine website

iTunes version 8 seems to be the version that runs best and it is available.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

but the review under wine did not fill me with confidence.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=13739

>What works
    >Using the installer hack from the howto below I was able to get iTunes >to install. Only ITERATE_Action needs to be hacked now as >ITERATE_StartService appears to now start the bonjour service. The >program starts. Listening to music, radio work quite nicely.

>What does not
    >On the first time running iTunes appears to hang spewing out a flood of >unsupported ioctl messages with wine 1.1.10 rendering it almost >unusable. The second time it pops up a dialog stating iTunes was not >properly installed and cd support would not work, though the application >was mostly useable. Syncing with an iPod does not work and signing in to >the store or creating a new account does not work. Genius.

>What was not tested
    >genius does not turn on

I use iTunes a lot to download podcasts syncing my iPod is important to me. There are Linux programs that loaded automatically when my iPod was connected when I was using Intrepid Ibex (8.10) but I have since moved back to the previous version Hardy Heron (8.04) because the 64 bit version was too unstable on my computer. The Linux program required a lot of set up so I did not try it.

IMO dual boot Windows/Ubuntu is the way to go there will always be something that you will need windows for me iTunes is something I want.

With dual boot you will always have the best of both worlds and windows is practically given away with new laptops (is your Dell computer any more expensive with windows loaded?).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Also it should be noted that if you need iTunes to manage or update the software on your iPhone you MUST currently use Windows.
    Linux in this specific case is not an option and it is not suggested that you even attempt to use WINE for this purpose.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi:

Just my tuppence worth;-

I don't reccomend Itunes under Wine. I Installed Itunes 8 on ubuntu 8 on 8.04 on a Dell Vostro AMD64 laptop. It was incredibly slow it also made the computer sluggish and look glitchy.

Itunes looks so pretty, and yes, it's in all in one ripper/burner/player/visualer, but you can do all these things on existing linux software!

If my experience is typical its only worth doing to prove you can. However some people here seem to have got it working well:

http://sudosys.be/?q=itunes_7.3_on_ubuntu_8.04

I combine Amarok and K3B this does mostly everything. If you like the look of Itunes, Songbird can be made to look almost identical. It doesn't have a built in visualiser, but you can run one through separate software along with Pulse Audio. You would also need to use a separate application to RIP/BURN cd's like K3B, but thats no real hassle IMO. It also has a lot of features/plugins that Itunes does not have.

Cheers

Conal

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ubunnovice View Post
    I am seriously considering buying a new dell laptop with Ubuntu OS but I want to know if itunes will run on Ubuntu?
    No, Apple have ONLY ported it to Windows, use Wine Is Not an Emulator (WINE)