Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's everyones problem with Vista again?

Beans

Re: What's everyones problem with Vista again?

Quote Originally Posted by yse View Post
    Everybody have an ancient computer in house, but not everybody want to live in the past. Peoples want HDTV on insane resolutions, play games with latest video cards and so on... you chose your side.
    Not everyone can afford to buy a computer with 8 GB

Beans

I didn't have a problem with 32 bit Vista it ran fine on my Hardware. UAC was annoying though and sometimes even that would not allow me to copy to folders like Program Files.

I ran it on my best PC though and found it requires a gig of ram to run, a dual core is good too. And two gigs is even better of ram then one.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C!oud View Post
    Not everyone can afford to buy a computer with 8 GB
    It runs just fine with 2gb....Vista had a bad start but it still a very stable OS.The 65bit os rocks..

Beans

My problem was backwards compatibility and the fact that the service pack made more damage than good on my machine.
    Pacman so silly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by yse View Post
    No mate, you are wrong. I have nothing with you or with Linux. I just cant stand when i see peoples who say stupid things.

Everybody have an ancient computer in house, but not everybody want to live in the past. Peoples want HDTV on insane resolutions, play games with latest video cards and so on... you chose your side.
    That's great if you have the money to spend. And you don't have to choose sides! I have new and old tech, no need to have just one or the other. Clearly my reasoning is failing here. Never mind.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vanden12 View Post
    It runs just fine with 2gb....Vista had a bad start but it still a very stable OS.The 65bit os rocks..
    Depend what you do.

If you play latest games, 4GB are recomanded.

If you do 2D/3D and dont want to burn your HDD swaping, go for 8GB and a quad core cpu.

Yeah, ofc 64 bit OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Getting back to base. I have used Vista Ultimite 32 bit and 64 bit. Cost is not an object for me because I am a student and the university that I attend has a license agreement with microsoft. That knocks almost 75% of the cost out.

I was mearly stating that the versions of vista set aside, that it has bugs that still need to be worked out and that the release of Vista was pre-mature.

I have a computer running vista for my school work and a computer running linux for my hobbies and fun-time. So I am forced to use both OSs and I prefer not to use vista because of the bugs. My laptop has vista and ubuntu on it. I have had the fortunate circumstance to be a network administrator for my house and I am a technical consultant on the side for the people that my family pays to help develop our land.

Setting everything else aside, I have a prefrence for linux since I started in open-source. My POV is that vista has its uses and faults like linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Performance and the way it ate up hard drive space. I hacked it down to where it was tolerable. By doing the following.

Disable System Restore
    Disable Indexing
    Disable Windows Defender
    Disable Aero
    Disable Sidebar
    Remove all trialware
    Replace Norton/Symantec with AVG Free

Reduce startup programs to one.

Beans

Vista's gravy, I just like Linux better.

I like being able to tinker with everything, as well as switch distributions on a whim.

Plus, I don't have any money!
    Last edited by liamnixon; February 9th, 2009 at 02:30 AM. Reason: fixing an error, but I guess that's obvious.
    Word.
    More Word.
    Maximum Wordage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Vista's not so bad, yes it is resource hungry but then Windows is in general. My Mum had a new PC with Vista installed and it was fine, very stable, she had problems running Second Life but this was fixed with a graphics update. But then all new versions of Windows have their teething problems, that's why it's best not to buy a version of Windows within a couple of months of it coming out. Also there was a problem with networking (cable not being detected) that occured randomly about half a year ago, yet it worked fine in Ubuntu. Apparently this is quite a common Windows problem looking at internet forums.

I think the whole Vista hate was overblown, personally I'm not that fond of it and I find it harder to get around than with previous versions of Windows, it's one of the reasons why I prefer Ubuntu, everything just seems much more organised and it's quicker to do what you want.

Tried Windows 7, didn't like the changes, for one right-clicking on the clock and selecting (properties I think) didn't bring up anything to do with the clock! But instead bought up options relating to the system tray. They've changed lots of things but not always for the better IMO.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast