Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How to setup home network? Heeeeeeeeeelp!

Beans

Re: How to setup home network? Heeeeeeeeeelp!

Have shared your folders in windows? That is all you need, then you should see the foldes in ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There are shared, but, not see from Ubuntu computer.
    George

Beans

have you done as I asked yet and put:

Code:
    smb://192.168.0.4
    into the address/location bar of a FILE browser yet?

File browser not web browser, I'm pretty certain from the error you posted last time that you were using a web browser..

Also have you ensured that all firewalls on all pc's are off, in order to minimise possible sources of trouble?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm a newbe. I believe I did the other check with the terminal, not Firefox. I hope I did this right this time.
    ***Deleted photo-seemed to cause a problem.***

It says 0 items.
    George
    Last edited by GARoss; February 9th, 2009 at 07:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

issih,
    I think I've got it right this time.
    It shows folders on XP computer! I'm not sure what to do next but I'll see if I can connect & get my printer to work.
    Thanks,
    George

Beans

Excellent, at this point I don't really know why you can get it to work that way but don't see anything if you just click on network...

As I said earlier, I know that there were issues with this very feature in hardy, but I thought they had been fixed in intrepid. Either way make sure you have all the updates.

I'm a bit stuck for suggestions at this point, but at least you have a workaround.

Oh and sorry if I came across as irritated, I wasn't having a go, just trying to be clear

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks-Thanks-Thanks!!!

After a 3-months of trying to see hostnames from windows to linux and vice-versa, this finally makes my Ubuntu system "pingable" by hostname from my Windows systems.

I have "visiting" windows clients so can't use lmhosts or hard IP addresses.

(P.S. - I can't think why installing Samba and activating a share has to be done to do make Netbios/Winbind work, but I know the same type of thing has to be done on Windows sometimes - as a last resort you "enable file sharing" and all the netbios hostnames start to be visible - setting all the NetBios options per the doc doesn't always seem to work without the file-sharing thing)

Does anybody know how netbios really works? (Did anybody ever know? - It's at least 20 years old - somebody at/from MS or Netware should still be around to write it down!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm glad this thread helped you.
    I can only give you my take on Samba which I have limited experience. Samba emulates Windows file sharing software, making Linux file sharing "Windows like". Therefore, your Windows network recognizes your Ubuntu as one of there own. At least, that's my take.

Beans

OK I am having the exact same problem as GARoss. The only difference is, I used to have a linksys router and I could see all my windows (vista and 7) shares in the places->network. I recently upgraded to a NETGear router, and the network location has been empty ever since. I followed the troubleshooting in this forum and was able to open up my windows share by typing smb://ipaddress/, but I still get "Unable to Mount Location" when trying to open the workgroup from the file browser. Anyone have any more ideas?

Even more odd, I just tried to add my network printer (attached to the Win7 box) through the printer configuration menu, and all the share names of the attached computers showed up in it's samba browser (no printer though, but thats a different issue).
    Last edited by crono141; March 14th, 2009 at 04:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm good now for the most part, but only on my partitions. I can't share anything from my main Ubuntu and this includes the printer not being printed. I wonder what to change in smb.conf to allow this? I know in the olden days if you shared anything an entry was made to smb.conf and you could actually see it. This does not happen any more, I wonder why?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345