Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to setup home network? Heeeeeeeeeelp!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How to setup home network? Heeeeeeeeeelp!

Newbe question,
    I searched over & over & I'm spinning my wheels getting no where fast. It seems most Linux tutorials are for large corp so the setups for networks are more involved than what I need I think. I just want a home network.
    Here's what I have;

*Just installed Ubuntu 8.10-64 bit is connected to router cable #2 with Samba installed & a folder marked as shared in my home folder. My Internet connection is good via the router.
    *XP Home desktop on router #1
    *XP laptop on router #4
    *Netgear RP114 Router

I had a 3 on a XP network config before installing Ubuntu on computer 1. The 2 XPs network is still working.

I've tried System/Administration/Network/Network Settings without any luck. In eth0 Properties, Configuration is on Automatic configuration (DHCP). Am I in the right place to begin?
    Really lost here; all suggestions are appreciated.
    George

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: How to setup home network? Heeeeeeeeeelp!

exactely what do you need to do?
    xD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for the reply.
    3 computers total. Lets call my computer #1 (was XP now is Ubuntu 8.10), my wife's computer #2 (XP) & computer #3 (XP) is a laptop.
    All were networked for video, photo & doc sharing (I edit video). XP support is being discontinued soon, so my wife & I are seeking a different OS.
    On computer #1, I decided to put Ubuntu on an unused HD (j) as a test. The other HDs (c & e) are unplug so nothing would be deleted (I lost my nerve).
    Computer #1 needs the network to access the printer which is hooked up to computer #2 via the network, as it was before I installed Ubuntu on it; that's a must. There are also video & Word docs on both computer #2 & computer #3 that need to be shared with computer #1.
    Also, once I get Ubuntu working smoothly I'd like to make computer #1 a dual boot with XP but I need to work this out first.
    Thanks
    George

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

so you just need to share files between the computers? i recommend smb (samba) this is the thing windows uses, just apt-get it.
    xD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You don't need samba to do any of the networking tasks. Ubuntu will automatically connect to windows computers without any extra programs. Go to Places-->Network and you should see a Windows Network Icon, double-click the icon and you should see the workgroup, If you see two workgroups you are going to have to change it.

It is just as easy to change the workgroup on Ubuntu as it is on Windows. Press Alt-F2 and type:

Code:
    gksu gconf-editor
    type you password when asked. Go to system-->smb in the left pane, then edit the workgroup to match the workgroup name of your workgroup.

Once all the workgroup names are the same you should just have to double-click the workgroup icon and see your shared folders.

To setup you printer, on the computer the printer is connected to make sure that in printer sharing the printer name doesn't have any spaces in it, and it available to everyone.

I would also suggest checking the OpenPrinting Database to see if your printer is supported. IF your printer isn't supported, you might as well stop trying now.

If you,ve determined that your printer is supported go to System-->Administration-->Printing and add a new printer. From the connection menu select Windows Printer via SMB then click the browse button and select your printer, click the forward button and follow the prompts.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Til_Valhall_vi_drar! View Post
    so you just need to share files between the computers? i recommend smb (samba) this is the thing windows uses, just apt-get it.
    As I said in my 1st post, I have installed Samba.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    You don't need samba to do any of the networking tasks. Ubuntu will automatically connect to windows computers without any extra programs. Go to Places-->Network and you should see a Windows Network Icon, double-click the icon and you should see the workgroup, If you see two workgroups you are going to have to change it.

It is just as easy to change the workgroup on Ubuntu as it is on Windows. Press Alt-F2 and type:

Code:
    gksu gconf-editor
    type you password when asked. Go to system-->smb in the left pane, then edit the workgroup to match the workgroup name of your workgroup.

Once all the workgroup names are the same you should just have to double-click the workgroup icon and see your shared folders.

To setup you printer, on the computer the printer is connected to make sure that in printer sharing the printer name doesn't have any spaces in it, and it available to everyone.

I would also suggest checking the OpenPrinting Database to see if your printer is supported. IF your printer isn't supported, you might as well stop trying now.

If you,ve determined that your printer is supported go to System-->Administration-->Printing and add a new printer. From the connection menu select Windows Printer via SMB then click the browse button and select your printer, click the forward button and follow the prompts.

Jim
    OK. I've looked may times at the Windows Network Icon, double clicked & it is empty!
    Code:
    gksu gconf-editor
    Opened the Configuration Editor & following your instructions, I opened the smb folder. Says, "Workgroup"; that's it. Doubleclicked "Workgroup" & an Edit Key window opened & ask for a value.???
    On computer #2, the XP network has 2 groups, Ross & Workgroup. From computer #2 (XP) I doubleclicked "Workgroup" & got nothing. Ross is the name of our network & it shows both XP computers but not the Ubuntu (computer #1) nor could it connect to it.
    I'll check the printer now. Thanks.
    George

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I doesn't look good for my printer! I don't even see it on the list.

*I thought I'd update this.
    There are printer drivers & software available for my Canon i950 printer from TurboPrint (http://www.turboprint.info/whatistp.html). That's the good news; the bad is it cost about $40 usd. I downloaded a 30 day trial & printed a few things including a high rez photo & it works great. All in all, I think it's worth it. I can't expect every thing to be free!
    George
    Last edited by GARoss; February 9th, 2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: *Update!

Beans

Change the workgroup of the ubuntu computer to the same as the two xp ones, i.e. ross. Once that is done you should hopefully begin to get things working.

You need the networking to be working for the printer to stand a chance as it functions via the same protocol.

Hope that helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

issih,
    Typing my name in didn't help either.
    See the attached image. Do these settings look right? In the top middle I selected Ethernet & show IP addresses in Properties in the upper right as well as the rest of the settings below. It doesn't work in Auto detect either.
    Any ideas?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast