Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Those with ancient computers, can you play Youtube videos?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Those with ancient computers, can you play Youtube videos?

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    What happens if you download the video first, close the web browser and then play it with a media player like vlc for example?
    Hmmm...good question. I've never tried to download a YouTube video. Is there a preferred method?

Beans

Hmmm...good question. I've never tried to download a YouTube video. Is there a preferred method?
    I've always liked youtube-dl, it's a nice minimal CLI app for downloading youtube videos

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by timzak View Post
    I just use a browser plugin like DownloadHelper for example.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Specs:
    Celeron 466 Mhz, 256 MB ram, 20 GB 7200 rpm hard drive, Voodoo3 PCI video card (disabled onboard Intel video).
    Frankly, I think that Xubuntu may be too heavy for that computer. Something like U-lite or fluxbuntu would probably work better for you. You could try a DSL live CD to see if things improve for you.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Frankly, I think that Xubuntu may be too heavy for that computer. Something like U-lite or fluxbuntu would probably work better for you. You could try a DSL live CD to see if things improve for you.
    Yeah, I tried Xubuntu on this system and it IS too heavy. But I'm actually using Debian Lenny with minimal xfce. It uses about 1/3 the ram.

I'll give youtube-dl a shot first, then downloadhelper if I have probs.

Thanks, I'll report back.

Beans
    Distro

I just use a browser plugin like DownloadHelper for example.
    Thanks for the tip, mips. Xfmedia was able to play a downloaded .flv video from Youtube at normal framerates. CPU load during playback was at 22%. Playing the same video through Youtube with either Iceweasel or Kaz web browser pegged the cpu at 100% and produced the slideshow framerates.

Is it possible to make the videos play smoother from within a web browser?

FYI, ram usage is <100MB with a web browser open, and the system has 256MB so there's no swapping going on.

Normal web browsing does not peg the cpu at 100%...Ie, Ubuntu forums is fairly navigable. I haven't checked cpu usage, but it's not 100%.

Beans

Just wondering how old/slow your computers are that can still watch a Youtube video at a decent framerate.

I've got an HP Pavilion 6535 that I rescued and loaded Debian Lenny on. Did a minimal install with XFCE. It uses about 44 MB of ram after a fresh boot. Using Kazehakase and flash 10, Youtube videos play at basically 1 fps (slide show).

Specs:
    Celeron 466 Mhz, 256 MB ram, 20 GB 7200 rpm hard drive, Voodoo3 PCI video card (disabled onboard Intel video).

I'm trying to find out if this is normal, expected performance for this machine. Anybody with a similar spec machine able to play Youtube videos at a decent framerate?
    Are you using wireless? I noticed flash being very slow on wireless. Other than that it uses a lot of CPU.

Beans

Thanks for the tip, mips. Xfmedia was able to play a downloaded .flv video from Youtube at normal framerates. CPU load during playback was at 22%. Playing the same video through Youtube with either Iceweasel or Kaz web browser pegged the cpu at 100% and produced the slideshow framerates.

Is it possible to make the videos play smoother from within a web browser?
    I honestly do not know why playing the video in a browser is so slow.

If you don't find a fix for the problem I do have a suggestion for you though.

I recall in the earlier days of 64-bit linux flash was sometimes an issue in a browser. One of the workarounds at the time was to tell the browser to use a media player (mplayer I think) to handle the flash content. The video would still appear in the browser but it was actually played via the media player. This however is a workaround (and a good one) but not a fix. Sorry but I do not recall any more details though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I recall in the earlier days of 64-bit linux flash was sometimes an issue in a browser. One of the workarounds at the time was to tell the browser to use a media player (mplayer I think) to handle the flash content. The video would still appear in the browser but it was actually played via the media player. This however is a workaround (and a good one) but not a fix. Sorry but I do not recall any more details though.
    I found some discussion at the Arch linux forum regarding this possible solution here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=35041

I would suggest using that as a guide rather than a howto, as it's old, and not Ubuntu based.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    I found some discussion at the Arch linux forum regarding this possible solution here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=35041

I would suggest using that as a guide rather than a howto, as it's old, and not Ubuntu based.
    Nice find dmizer!

My recollection was that it was part of the Arch wiki on one of the ways to get flash working in 64bit.

For those not familair with pacman I'll do a quick translation,
    Code:
    sudo pacman -S mplayer-plugin or sudo pacman -S vlc-plugin
    would be the same as,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mplayer-plugin or sudo apt-get install vlc-plugin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast