Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: User and Groups unlocking error

Beans

Re: User and Groups unlocking error

hi,
    i'm having the same problem --can't make changes in "users and groups," and i get this same error message.

booting in recovery mode and adding MYUSERNAME to the admin group doesn't fix it; i have the same problem still.

yikes? any suggestions? many thanks.

this is a very new install of ubuntu 8.10 desktop, only a week or so old.

EDIT/UPDATE:
    I tried going into recovery mode and creating a temporary new admin-level user, TESTUSER, to see if the problem occurs when signed on as TESTUSER. and it does have the same problem.
    Last edited by jespes; March 16th, 2009 at 02:56 AM.

Beans

any luck?
    Ubuntu 8.10 64bit (Dual Booted with Windows XP SP2) | Acer Aspire 5050 / Aspire 5052AWXMI | AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology MK-38 2.2GHz 512KB L2 Cache | ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 | 2GB DDR2 RAM | Atheros AR5007EG

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jespes View Post
    hi,
    i'm having the same problem --can't make changes in "users and groups," and i get this same error message.

booting in recovery mode and adding MYUSERNAME to the admin group doesn't fix it; i have the same problem still.

yikes? any suggestions? many thanks.

this is a very new install of ubuntu 8.10 desktop, only a week or so old.

EDIT/UPDATE:
    I tried going into recovery mode and creating a temporary new admin-level user, TESTUSER, to see if the problem occurs when signed on as TESTUSER. and it does have the same problem.
    How do you add yourself to the admin group if you can't change users and groups?
    MCP, A+/Linux+ Certified IT Technician
    System Specs | Dress up your "Super Button" FREE
    "If sometimes you can't be good, then be VERY good at being naughty!"

Beans

if im not mistaken u can do it on the terminal like this:
    Code:
    useradd -m yournewuser
    passwd yournewpassword
    adduser yournewuser admin
    reboot
    not sure if u need to login to root to do that or just sudo it..there's a thread somewhere about this
    Ubuntu 8.10 64bit (Dual Booted with Windows XP SP2) | Acer Aspire 5050 / Aspire 5052AWXMI | AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology MK-38 2.2GHz 512KB L2 Cache | ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 | 2GB DDR2 RAM | Atheros AR5007EG

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Schok View Post
    if im not mistaken u can do it on the terminal like this:
    Code:
    useradd -m yournewuser
    passwd yournewpassword
    adduser yournewuser admin
    reboot
    not sure if u need to login to root to do that or just sudo it..there's a thread somewhere about this
    that's precisely what i tried: i went into Recovery Mode and used terminal commands to create a new admin user. then i did a normal reboot and signed on as this newly created admin user, in hopes i'd be able to regain admin authority in the "users and groups" panel.

but it didn't work: i still had the same "can't authenticate" problem when logged in as the new user.

separately i also tried booting in Recovery Mode and reassigning my original username to "admin." but that didn't have the desired effect either.

bottom line: the "users and groups" panel is non-functional for me. i can't create new users, and i can't modify any of the user settings there. each time i try, i get the "can't authenticate" error described at top of this thread.

Beans

do u have ubuntu tweak installed?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Schok View Post
    xxx ubuntu tweak ? xxx
    ah, i'm unfamiliar with ubuntu tweak. does it address this issue? (i just a superfast google on it and didn't turn up an answer ...)

Beans

this problem emerged after i started using ubuntu-tweak..so i guess thats not the problem

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Simpleton View Post
    Sorted what you do is this

1. go to recovery mode
    2. Select root command prompt
    3. type in

sudo adduser you current user name admin

4. reboot

You will have your prviileges back. I suggest then making a 2nd admin account incase it ever happens again!
    I first starting encountering this problem when I created a 2nd admin account (perhaps i shouldn't have called it admin?). This fix got me back to normal, though. Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mthelms View Post
    I first starting encountering this problem when I created a 2nd admin account (perhaps i shouldn't have called it admin?). This fix got me back to normal, though. Thanks!
    I think that was my problem, too. No more "admin" accounts for me. From now on they're "superduck" or something.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12