Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dependency Get?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Dependency Get?

I want to compile things at ease from source, but i have to spend hours trying to find the correct dependencies for it. Is there a program or place where i can find the dependencies for it.
    .i coi rodo

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Dependency Get?

If the program is in the repositories, you can call
    Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep package
    to install all dependencies needed to build that package. If it is not, you can try auto-apt.

Beans

try out a sourced based distro

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by C!oud View Post
    try out a sourced based distro
    Elaborate please?
    .i coi rodo

Beans

Linux distros where all packages are installed through compiling them from source, best example would be Gentoo. Otherwise you can try Archlinux which through it's default package manager allows you to install binary packages but if you install yaourt you can compile away as much as you would like giving you a nice blend.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C!oud View Post
    Linux distros where all packages are installed through compiling them from source, best example would be Gentoo. Otherwise you can try Archlinux which through it's default package manager allows you to install binary packages but if you install yaourt you can compile away as much as you would like giving you a nice blend.
    Don't forget ABS in Arch Linux. CRUX is another honerable mention for source-based distros.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    Don't forget ABS in Arch Linux. CRUX is another honerable mention for source-based distros.
    Gentoo, CRUX, Lunar, Sorcerer, Source Mage, ports & pkgsrc in *BSD, and Arch to a certain extent

Beans
    Distro

Can these features be incorporated into my ubuntu?
    .i coi rodo

Beans

Most applications mention the dependencies you need to have installed before compiling from source. Check the website, or either the README or INSTALL file in the source code archive you've downloaded.

If you compile with ./configure make and make install, you should find out if you are missing any dependencies in the first step (./configure). It will display an error message, telling you "Couldn't find xyz" and end. Search the repositories for that package (often you need to add lib to it, ie. libxyz), install the package and rerun ./configure. In this way you should find out the lacking dependencies pretty quickly.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by urukrama View Post
    Most applications mention the dependencies you need to have installed before compiling from source. Check the website, or either the README or INSTALL file in the source code archive you've downloaded.

If you compile with ./configure make and make install, you should find out if you are missing any dependencies in the first step (./configure). It will display an error message, telling you "Couldn't find xyz" and end. Search the repositories for that package (often you need to add lib to it, ie. libxyz), install the package and rerun ./configure. In this way you should find out the lacking dependencies pretty quickly.
    Thanks
    .i coi rodo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast