Thread: Add ATI Radeon 7000 video card

Beans

Question Add ATI Radeon 7000 video card

Please put in plain English, how do I install an ATI Radeon video card in my Ubuntu system. I am already the system with the on board and love the OS. I am not good at using Ubuntu yet, I am at the playing with it stage.
    I do not have a driver disk. I have tried looking for linux versions of the drivers, but no luck, just windows versions. I tried inserting the card and booting, but it comes up with it is running in low resolution mode and then I end up with brown bars across the screen. I was using the built in video, but I need DVI for the new monitor. If it helps at all I am currently using a 17 inch CRT monitor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Add ATI Radeon 7000 video card

Quote Originally Posted by tk05 View Post
    Please put in plain English, how do I install an ATI Radeon video card in my Ubuntu system. I am already the system with the on board and love the OS. I am not good at using Ubuntu yet, I am at the playing with it stage.
    I do not have a driver disk. I have tried looking for linux versions of the drivers, but no luck, just windows versions. I tried inserting the card and booting, but it comes up with it is running in low resolution mode and then I end up with brown bars across the screen. I was using the built in video, but I need DVI for the new monitor. If it helps at all I am currently using a 17 inch CRT monitor.
    Hi and welcome, when you install the graphics card you will need to boot into recovery mode which is usually the second choice from the grub.
    You will be given 4 choices and you need to choose the xfix option. This will hopefully configure your graphics.
    Then you should be give the option to boot normally after the xfix. Hope this helps good luck.

Beans

Thanks, that solved my problem!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by overdrank View Post
    Hi and welcome, when you install the graphics card you will need to boot into recovery mode which is usually the second choice from the grub.
    You will be given 4 choices and you need to choose the xfix option. This will hopefully configure your graphics.
    Then you should be give the option to boot normally after the xfix. Hope this helps good luck.
    How do U Restart in Recovery mode? And what is a "grub" Please?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You really should have started a new thread. This one is almost a year old.

GRUB stands for GRand Unified Boot loader. It is what gives you the menu that allows you to boot into Ubuntu or Windows.

When the GRUB menu displays, the second option from the top will take you into recovery mode.
    Break it, fix it, learn something.
    People who never make mistakes seldom make anything!

Beans

Thanks Miljet, how do I make that menu appear during boot?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

After your BIOS screen pops up, it will say GRUB is loading and a countdown of 3....2....1... and say hit escape to enter GRUB menu.

At that point, hit escape and into the menu you go.
    Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H motherboard, AMD Athalon II X2 2.8 dual core processor, 2gig Kingston DDR2800 RAM, 1 WD 640gig Caviar Green SATA drive