Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell inspiron 1545 wireless drivers?

Beans

Exclamation Dell inspiron 1545 wireless drivers?

I installed linux on my laptop when windows screwed up and my disk to install it stopped working.

I don't have my service tag with me (at college) but can anyone point me in the direction of wireless drivers for it as my ethernet port doesn't work and I need net access..?

I have an openSUSE cd aswell so if these drivers work on both even better.

Thanks..

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Dell inspiron 1545 wireless drivers?

You need to identify your wireless card in Linux first. If you can go into Ubuntu, please open up a Terminal and type:
    Code:
    lspci -nn
    It will return a list of pci devices. Look for the ones that contain Network Controller or Ethernet Controller. They will be your network devices. One of them should be listed with wireless in it or 802.11. That is your wireless card. If you can report back the make, model, and chipset, we can try to help you find what you need. For example, mine returns:
    Code:
    03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)
    The information that we need to know is that it is a Broadcom (make) BCM4311 (model) 14e4:4311 (chipset).

Also let us know which version of Ubuntu you are using (Gutsy 7.10, Hardy 8.04/8.04.1/8.04.2, Intrepid 8.10). There have been a few new wireless modules that have been added during the last couple of releases.

Beans

have you tried system->admin->hardware drivers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

new guy, same problem, I have a dell inspiron 1545 running 9.04 that has a Broadcom BCM 412 14e4:4315 is there a package that can solve all my WiFi problem. I do have a request/question Linux mint is a sibling of ubuntu and i LOVE both version what I love in in Linux mint is that just make it work back end model, In ubuntu it is the GUI. Linux mint just "looks" to much like 95/XP. if you know of a ubuntu theme that could put on mint or is there instruction that i can get mint repository on ubuntu I do think you for any help, so thank you.
    Last edited by OwenHell; September 12th, 2009 at 09:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    You need to identify your wireless card in Linux first. If you can go into Ubuntu, please open up a Terminal and type:
    Code:
    lspci -nn
    It will return a list of pci devices. Look for the ones that contain Network Controller or Ethernet Controller. They will be your network devices. One of them should be listed with wireless in it or 802.11. That is your wireless card. If you can report back the make, model, and chipset, we can try to help you find what you need. For example, mine returns:
    Code:
    03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)
    The information that we need to know is that it is a Broadcom (make) BCM4311 (model) 14e4:4311 (chipset).

Also let us know which version of Ubuntu you are using (Gutsy 7.10, Hardy 8.04/8.04.1/8.04.2, Intrepid 8.10). There have been a few new wireless modules that have been added during the last couple of releases.
    Hi there,

Just bought a Dell Inspiron 1545 for my wife, and everything is working fine, except the wireless. It won't even recognise that there are any wireless signals, even though there are. When I go to System>Admin>Hardware Drivers, it says that it's using a Broadcom one.

I checked for the code you requested, and got this:

09:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller [11ab:4354] (rev 13)
    0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Still hoping a distribution will one day be called "Stylish Skunk"...

[running on a Lenovo Thinkpad X121e]

Beans
    Distro

bump. Any help?

Beans
    Distro

Even I have the same problem. Plz help!!!

Beans
    Distro

try this link...
    i followed it and now its working
    http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by f4k1r View Post
    try this link...
    i followed it and now its working
    http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
    Thanks f4k1r. So, I've downloaded the 32 bit driver (I assume that's the right one), but from there what do I do with it? (forgive the newbie question!) Where should I extract it to? Install it to? Would you mind giving me an idea of what to do from here?

Thanks for your patience and help - really, really appreciate it.

Beans
    Distro

I followed all the instructions in the Readme file one by one and it worked, you also give it a try and post if you face any problem.

once you follow all the instructions then go to hardware drivers and activate the driver to use and restart once.
    Last edited by f4k1r; October 25th, 2009 at 09:24 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast