Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS3 media sever install

Beans

PS3 media sever install

Hello

I'm still very new to ubuntu and was hoping would anyone know how to install the ps3 media server and please go easy I'm still a command line noob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: PS3 media sever install

If you're talking about a UPnP server to stream music and videos to your PS3, then there are several applications that will do the job. I personally use MediaTomb. It's not fancy, but it's easy to set up and it does the job, and it's in the Ubuntu repositories. uShare and gMediaServer are a couple of other UPnP servers available in the repositories, but I don't know anything about them.

If you're specifically talking about PS3 Media Server, then I can't help much. I looked at it, but it's severely lacking on installation instructions. It also doesn't seem as mature an application as the others.

----------

To set up MediaTomb on Ubuntu to stream media to your PS3:

1) Install MediaTomb. Open the terminal and type "sudo apt-get install mediatomb".

2) Run MediaTomb once to create the configuration file. Type "mediatomb". Wait for the output to stop -- it should give you a URL for connecting to MediaTomb. Press Ctrl-C to stop MediaTomb.

3) Edit the configuration file. Enter the command "gedit ~/.mediatomb/config.xml". Make the following changes:

Find this line:
    Code:
    <protocolInfo extend="no"/><!-- For PS3 support change to "yes" -->
    Change "no" to "yes". Then find the following lines:
    Code:
    <!-- Uncomment the line below for PS3 divx support -->
    <!-- <map from="avi" to="video/divx"/> -->
    Remove "<!--" and "-->" from the second line. Now scroll up to to this line:
    Code:
    <extension-mimetype ignore-unknown="no">
    Directly below that line, paste these lines:
    Code:
    <map from="avi" to="video/x-divx"/> 
    <map from="divx" to="video/x-divx"/>
    Save and exit.

4) Start MediaTomb. Type "mediatomb". Take note of the address it gives you (though you probably won't need it).

5) Add your media directories. Look in Applications->Sound & Video for a launcher for MediaTomb. This will open a page in your web browser. (If this doesn't work, type the address MediaTomb gave you in your browser's address bar.) In the left pane, click "Filesystem" and locate the media you want to share. At the top of the right pane, click the plus symbol with the arrows around it. Select "Timed" and "Full", check "Recursive", and then click the "Set" button. Do this for each directory you want to share with your PS3. Now when you click "Database" in the left pane, it will show the media you're sharing. (It will take a few minutes to add large numbers of files, so if your media doesn't show up immediately, give it some time.)

That's it. To run MediaTomb, type "mediatomb" in the terminal (although at this point, it's already running). I created a launcher for my panel by right-clicking on the panel, selecting "Add to Panel" and then "Custom Application Launcher", and using the command "gnome-terminal -x mediatomb". (You could just use the command "mediatomb", but you wouldn't be able to close it without killing the process.) The MediaTomb icon is found in "/usr/share/pixmaps/".

You can also set MediaTomb to run at startup by going to System->Preferences->Sessions, clicking the "Add" button, and using one of the above commands, depending on whether you want to have the option of closing the program or not.

NOTE: Some tutorials say to run MediaTomb using sudo, but there's no reason to do this as long as your user account has read access to the files you want to share.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Thank you very much mb_webguy, this was cake. I got my media server up and running and it only took like 20 mins, haha.

Beans

I have followed these instructions and can't get mediatomb to work on my PS3, when i search for media servers on my PS3 it says it can't see any. Im using the 64 bit version of Ubuntu 8.10, not sure if that will make any difference.

My network is a wired connection to my PC from a Linksys WRT54GS and then a wireless connection to my PS3.

I have no ports forwarded though on the router and wonder if this is the problem.

Also i have to say that i have had media servers working before on this same network using tversity on Windows Vista. Please help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If the router is handling both the wired and wireless connections, then port forwarding shouldn't come into it. That's only for external connections.

HOWEVER, some routers do not have UPnP enabled by default, even if it is supported by the router. Check your router's settings and see if you can find the setting for UPnP, and make sure it's enabled.

If your router has UPnP enabled, you made the appropriate changes to the Mediatomb config file, and Mediatomb is running, the PS3 should detect it.

Beans

Thanks for the reply.

I have checked on the router and UPnP is enabled so thats not the problem. Any other ideas before i totally start again with a new box?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Nope, sorry. I'm running Mediatomb on two different computers, and both are detected by my PS3 without any problem. If UPnP is enabled on your router, and you set up the Mediatomb config file correctly, I don't know what the problem could be.

You're not perhaps running Mediatomb using sudo (as is suggested for some reason by several tutorials I've seen on the web)?

Beans

Great news built a new box using Ubuntu 8.10 32 bit and it worked first time using these instructions. Which are great by the way, thanks. Im very happy now i have a server that i can remotely manage.

I think the problem i was having on my first box was that when i ran Mediatomb it would assign an ip address of 192.168.11.103 and my network is 192.16.1.* so it wouldn't work. Not sure why it did this but on my new box it assigns the right ip address so all is good.

Thanks for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Should just add fuppes, which I use, is another alternative.
    http://fuppes.ulrich-voelkel.de/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Okay...

My PS3 sees MediaTomb. My media is all located on an external drive, how do I get MT to look at that drive instead of PC Directory?

That would be a big help. I like to keep my media off of my machine. Can I have it look at my library for Rythymbox?

[SOLVED]
    Last edited by Axess_Denied; September 18th, 2009 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast