• Yes

27 27.55%
  • No

71 72.45%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is mono evil?

Beans

Re: Is mono evil?

I'm pretty sure those who voted for not evil is because they're themselves mono developers (or even ms trolls).
    making GNOME depend on Mono is running a grave risk
    Richard Stallman
    http://boycottnovell.com/2007/11/29/...icense-patent/

I wouldn’t want to be caught running an “illegal” GNU/Linux distribution without paying Microsoft the correct “protection” fee, now would I?
    http://boycottnovell.com/2007/11/05/gnome-mono-yelp/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is one of the human behaviors I find amusing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cl333r View Post
    I'm pretty sure those who voted for not evil is because they're themselves mono developers (or even ms trolls).

Richard Stallman
    http://boycottnovell.com/2007/11/29/...icense-patent/

http://boycottnovell.com/2007/11/05/gnome-mono-yelp/
    Please be aware that Boycott Novell is written by either a troll or an idiot. I'm not sure which yet, though Hanlon's Razor makes the decision for me
    Last edited by directhex; February 5th, 2009 at 11:31 PM.
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by amiga_os View Post
    C# may be an open standard, but it's an open standard that Microsoft control.

IF Microsoft manage to get loads of people using C#, then they could extend it in a non-open way, or write a bunch of libraries for it, based on extensions, and release them without proper warning. Then the FOSS community is spending ages trying to catch up... and developers who want to do anything of substance with C# are tied to using Microsoft products on a Microsoft platform. This would be consistent with the tactics Microsoft has used for decades to dominate markets - by attempting to monopolize them. I don't know if Microsoft are trying to do that, but, it wouldn't surprise me... the open source movement is increasingly the biggest threat to MS market share... so find some way to monopolize the Open Source market.

That's why people are scared of C#, and that's why people are scared of Mono.
    Thing is, none of the scenarios you name actually effect Mono's primary goal. Mono was written, first and foremost, as a top-notch development environment for Linux apps. If MS have some libraries for MS.NET which aren't in Mono (as they do now), well, so what? It tarnishes Mono's ability to run MS.NET apps unmodified, but it really doesn't affect your Ubuntu desktop, where Mono has its own "embrace & extend" technologies like GTK#

If Mono loses the ability to run Windows apps, then it's a shame, but it's not the end of the world - because it really makes no difference to the (achieved many years ago) goal which Mono was written to target

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by ridetheteapot View Post
    yea it's evil. and super clunky.
    i just upgraded to a quadcore intel recently so i can run mono apps like tomboy (ha)... my old p4 hated a mono app that ran for more then a few hours
    I think thats just tomboys fault.Try gnome-do, its written in c# and runs
    fast even on older computers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    If Mono loses the ability to run Windows apps, then it's a shame, but it's not the end of the world
    Yes it does... because it changes the potential market for Mono developers.

GTK# isn't embrace and extend anyway. Embrace and extend means extending with libraries that we all use first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't consider it so, but seeing Miguels praises of Mono running Windows/Mac only or asking him to meet with Microsoft officials on Planet Gnome is a bit lol-worthy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cl333r View Post
    Maybe you should troll elsewhere...

Perhaps those of us who voted for "not evil" are educated individuals who dislike languageges/frameworks for their individual characteristics.

Mono is not evil, never has been evil, or never will be evil.

So what if it's associated with Novell, as far as I know, mono is one of the best implementations for C#/.NET languages for linux.

A good programmer should be familiar with all tools available to him/her. A good programmer also probably wouldn't disregard a language just because of it's association with some "evil" company.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by amiga_os View Post
    Yes it does... because it changes the potential market for Mono developers.
    Why? So people would be forced to use Mono for Windows rather than MS.NET for developing cross-platform apps (assuming that that's the goal, AND that you care about Windows-based developers). So what? How does that harm or hinder Linux-centric apps like Gnome Do?

Beans

I think some people don't get it. C# is designed to compete against Java after MS's failure in the "J++ affair"; that's its goal. They don't want to make it a MS-specific technology because they have to counterfight Java's cross-platform compatibility.

Also, making it an open standard is a response to Sun's open sourcing of Java (OpenJDK)... which is Sun's strategy to get into the Free Software market after Stallman's call for boycott ("The Java Trap" as he called it)

What might happen is that Mono may ungwillingly help MS in this strategy and hurt Java, but I don't see any reasonable damage to GNU/Linux.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast