Thread: Learning OSX without the OSX

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Learning OSX without the OSX

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could learn to do basic installation and troubleshooting in OSX without actually having a Mac?

I'm trying to set up a small scale local computer business to make some extra cash, and I anticipate people having problems with their Macs and I'd like to be able to fix them.

Thanks in advance

-Nik
    Linux User Number: 484110
    PC Specs: AMD Phenom II 1055T (six core, overclocked to 3.2Ghz), Corsair 8GB DDR3-1600, 1TB Hitatchi HD, HIS Radeon HD 5870

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Post Re: Learning OSX without the OSX

How about reading some books about mac? Or have a look at their support discussion website.
    See my photos on Flickr

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Learning OSX without the OSX

Buy a copy. Install it on your PC. Get everything working.

After that you *should* have a good grasp on basic troubleshooting, without the cost of a new Mac.

OSX86

Yes the legality of it is questionable but since you are only going to use it as a learning experience, I think you can still feel good about yourself.

Beans

OSX86 is all I can say which will probaly get me into trouble.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have to agree with OSX86. It's VERY ILLEGAL, but let's face facts: nobody's going to crash down your door for using it.

Beans
    Hidden!

It's NOT a "legal" matter, Dies and Mr. Psychopath.

From a purely technical point of view, OSx86 is the only way you're going to have to run OS X on non-Apple hardware.

That said, why not buy a used or refurbished Mac? That way you can have Mac OS X running legitimately (you'll please take note of the fact that I did not use the term "legally", since this is a tort situation, not a criminal one) and not have to continually participate in the cat-and-mouse game that is OSx86.

Just my 2¢.
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheC View Post
    It's NOT a "legal" matter, Dies and Mr. Psychopath.

From a purely technical point of view, OSx86 is the only way you're going to have to run OS X on non-Apple hardware.

That said, why not buy a used or refurbished Mac? That way you can have Mac OS X running legitimately (you'll please take note of the fact that I did not use the term "legally", since this is a tort situation, not a criminal one) and not have to continually participate in the cat-and-mouse game that is OSx86.

Just my 2¢.
    Ever heard of a "vanilla" install?

OSX86 is just a cool term people use which doesn't really mean anything since Apple hardware is x86 at this point. Apple hardware is just an Intel PC with a fancy wrapper, nothing special about it aside from the design and the OS.

That said, I agree that a used Mac is probably a good way to go.

BTW what's this cat-and-mouse thing you're talking about?

Let's be honest, unless you're selling clones, Apple couldn't care less.