Thread: Red alert: Ardour is in serious trouble

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Red alert: Ardour is in serious trouble

Please don't let Ardour die.

From the main page: http://www.ardour.org/node/2406

"""""SAE announced today that they will no longer sponsor the development of Ardour. This puts me (Paul, Ardour’s lead developer) in the position of being paid solely by the donations and subscriptions made by the Ardour community. This is obviously insufficient to support myself, let alone my family, so I am obviously looking for other opportunities to earn a living. Although I intend to try to improve the revenue that Ardour itself generates, this is unlikely to be sufficient for some time to come. I am therefore in a position to serve as consultant/contractor on other projects, and will be happy to handle inquiries about this via email (paul@linuxaudiosystems.com). I intend to continue doing some work on Ardour to provide support and continuing incentives to those who are already paying for that via donations & subscriptions."""""

It is truly sad to see projects like this lose steam. Especially one so helpful as this.

If anyone can help find support the help would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,
    Sean Burns

If this thread needs to be moved, then move it! I tried to post it in the right spot.
    Dual AMD Quad-core 2346HE CPUs, 16GB DDR2 667 SDRAM, 2TB (4X500GB) WD SATA 3.0 7200 HDDs, ARECA ARC-1210 RAID controller card, nVIDIA 8800GT, TYAN Thunder S2927-E Motherboard, xubuntu Linux 9.04 64-bit edition

Beans

Re: Red alert: Ardour is in serious trouble

I spent a year at SAE in 1982.

Maybe Tom Misner wants to keep his last 200 million for himself.

Ardour is a good project but as an open source venture it is suffering from a too small development team.

I hope things work out as I think it is almost good enough to use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Arghh, If only I had money to spare to this great project.

Blog | I'm available for programming contributions. C & Python.
    Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA x58 SLI | NVidia GeForce 8600 GT | WD 500GB HDD | Corsair XMS3 3GB | Ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Distro

I'm trying to see if Lumiera will absorb and assimilate the app into their matrix. That way lumiera will be a FOSS NLE/Compositor, and DAW!

Pie in the sky but it's worth a shot.
    Dual AMD Quad-core 2346HE CPUs, 16GB DDR2 667 SDRAM, 2TB (4X500GB) WD SATA 3.0 7200 HDDs, ARECA ARC-1210 RAID controller card, nVIDIA 8800GT, TYAN Thunder S2927-E Motherboard, xubuntu Linux 9.04 64-bit edition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Bad economy strikes again?
    Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position - Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hanzomon4 View Post
    Bad economy strikes again?
    I am afraid so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Paul,

Have you approached some of the DAW hardware companies about bundling? Perhaps you could get together with the Studio64 lads and put together some sort of package. You may also wish to put together a pitch for the labels.

You have a decent product and shouldn't have issues pitching it to anyone (and getting paid).

Frank

Beans

I'm a hobbyist producer and it would really hurt to see Ardour go stale. I'd just found the time to really get into it recently and now this. Is there enough of a developer community to keep it going while its unsupported?

I wish the lead developer the best of luck in finding work and must say he and the others have done one hell of a job on this project.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by russofris View Post
    Paul,

Have you approached some of the DAW hardware companies about bundling? Perhaps you could get together with the Studio64 lads and put together some sort of package. You may also wish to put together a pitch for the labels.

You have a decent product and shouldn't have issues pitching it to anyone (and getting paid).

Frank
    Hey there, Paul's contact information can be found on Ardour's website: www.ardour.org