Thread: NOOB: Mounting Windows Directory and accessing via Terminal

Beans

NOOB: Mounting Windows Directory and accessing via Terminal

I have Ubuntu 8.10 installed on my PS3 and I can see my Windows Network and I can mount a folder I am sharing by right clicking on the windows folder in Ubuntu and selecting Mount. It then appears on my desktop. This is great...however, I can't seem to find it's directory location. I get something like this when I select properties:

smb://cudaencoder/sharedfolder

when I use that structure in say:

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=smb://cudaencoder/sharedfolder/journey.iso.

it says no such directory or something like that.

I would like to have dd dump the ISO to my windows folder. Am I missing a step, or have I munged the syntax? Any help would be great.

Beans

Re: NOOB: Mounting Windows Directory and accessing via Terminal

If you mount a network resource (smb, ssh, ftp, etc.) using nautilus (gnome-volume-manager) it will use fuse to create a mount point under $HOME/.gvfs ($HOME is your home directory).

So you can hopefully do:

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=$HOME/.gvfs/cudaencoder/sharedfolder/journey.iso

or something to that nature.

Beans

I will try that right now. I'm not sure what my home directory is but I will find out, easy enough. Thanks a bunch...BRB.

Beans

Well that didn't work for me. I don't know if it's a PS3 thing or I'm not using GNOME or what but I can not navigate my way in terminal to the mounted folder.

I can creat files in it, I can read files, I can see pictures. But when I leave the GUI and go into terminal, I can't seem to find that folder. It's weird too because the icon is placed on the desktop but when I cd desktop, I don't see any link there either. This must me some weird VOODOO mounting that the GUI that comes with Ubuntu is doing.

Maybe if I mount it myself from terminal and install samba I might be able to mount it to a place I can navigate to.

Anyone else got any ideas? Thanks for all your help

BTW, I tried:

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/root/.gvfs/cudaencoder/bluray/journey.iso.
    dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/.gvfs/cudaencoder/bluray/journey.iso.
    dd if=/dev/cdrom of=//.gvfs/cudaencoder/bluray/journey.iso.
    dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/root@ubuntu@PS3/.gvfs/cudaencoder/bluray/journey.iso.

nothing seems to work

Beans

Your $HOME directory is usually /home/<username> with username being what you logged in with. If you happen to be using root (which you should NOT be btw), then $HOME is /root. To find out what it is, just open a terminal and do

Code:
    echo $HOME
    As a note, $HOME is the same as ~/.

After you mount the network resource using the GUI, open up your terminal do:

Code:
    ls ~/.gvfs
    Your smb resource should be mounted there and show up. If not, then something may be wrong. Also this also would probably only work if you are using GNOME.
    Last edited by pnutzh4x0r; February 5th, 2009 at 12:31 AM.

Beans

Thanks For stickin with this problem so much. I will now try what you posted above. I didn't want to use root, as a matter of fact, I had to jump thru hoops to get root to be login-able at the login screen. Unfortunately, I think it might be a PS3 thing, the CDROM dev won't let dd do it's work under anything other than root.

I budgeted a week to get this to work. I'm halfway down!

Beans

I typed ls ~/.gvfs
    and it returned in a pale blue color
    bluray on cudaencoder

so then I typed:
    dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/root/cudaencoder/bluray/journey.iso. (didn't work)
    dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/root/.gvfs/cudaencoder/bluray/journey.iso. (also didn't work said same thing "no such directory or file)

could I do this:

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/root/bluray%20on%20cudaencoder/journey.iso. (???)

Beans

You can enclose paths with spaces with quotes:

Code:
    dd if=/dev/cdrom of="/root/.gvfs/bluray on cudaencoder/journey.iso"

Beans

Oh GREAT! Now what am I supposed to do with the other half of this week I budgeted to get this done? You got it workin half a week early!!!

Thanks a ton! The quotes did it. I still wonder if %20's would have worked too. Oh well, its a 25gig disc and I see I'm getting 4Mbps on the network connection (100Mbps) Not sure why that is but I'm not complaining! I will let it go all night. It's directly connected thru a switch and a router, should be much faster.