Thread: Two Computers (XP and Ubuntu) In Same Router

Beans

Two Computers (XP and Ubuntu) In Same Router

Hello.

I've been using Ubuntu for months now and since I started till now I've always randomly gotten disconnected from the internet. I recently realized that it is because of the XP computer hooked up to the same router. If I restart my Ubuntu while XP is still on my ubuntu wont have internet until I restart the router. If my XP restarts while my Ubuntu is on, my Ubuntu looses internet untill I restart the router. If I restart Ubuntu While XP is off my Ubuntu starts up connected to the internet.

I'm tired of restarting my router all the time. Can anyone help me. is this a known problem. Is there a solution?

Thanks In Advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Two Computers (XP and Ubuntu) In Same Router

Quote Originally Posted by MasterPoulos89 View Post
    Hello.

I've been using Ubuntu for months now and since I started till now I've always randomly gotten disconnected from the internet. I recently realized that it is because of the XP computer hooked up to the same router. If I restart my Ubuntu while XP is still on my ubuntu wont have internet until I restart the router. If my XP restarts while my Ubuntu is on, my Ubuntu looses internet untill I restart the router. If I restart Ubuntu While XP is off my Ubuntu starts up connected to the internet.

I'm tired of restarting my router all the time. Can anyone help me. is this a known problem. Is there a solution?

Thanks In Advance
    Check the NAT settings of your router and have in set to DHCP.
    Make sure your XP machine and Ubuntu machine are also set to DHCP.

Beans

Both machines are set to DHCP and the only NAT option I see in my router is enable or disable, and it is enabled.

I now left the XP machine off for quite a while and my Ubuntu still managed to loose internet connection. After rebooting the router several times I finally regained internet. So my XP is not the only reason I loose internet connection on my Ubuntu. I don't think its my router, my router works fine for XP.

Maybe I should mention that my XP is hooked up to the main router, then I connected another router to the original for distance. So my Ubuntu is actually connected to the second router. I dint think that should affect it. When I had windows on this same machine the internet was working perfectly. There has to be another reason.

PS: both my routers are linksys......and my network card is (Intel Corporation 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection).

Thanks for your time. I appreciate any possible solution.

Beans

OK.....problem solved......I should of realised that if I want to use a router as a hub I should configure it to do so........I disabled DHCP on the router I'm using as a hub........sorry for wasting time and space. At least I learned something new though.