Thread: poor scrolling compared to mandriva

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

poor scrolling compared to mandriva

The scrolling in Firefox/Opera is really slow and jerky in Ubuntu(intrepid) compared to Mandriva 2009.0.

I have tested this on 3 different machines (ati and nvidia) and on all machines Ubuntu scores very poor compared to Mandriva.

I have no idea where to look as I have copied mdv's xorg.conf to ubuntu but this made no difference, the drivers used are the same too, with or without desktop effects doesn't make a difference either, nor does running another desktop environment (kde4/xfce/gnome) nor display manager (kdm/gdm).

Where else to look?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: poor scrolling compared to mandriva

no one?

Beans

Have you tried configuring firefox to use smooth scrolloing? Firefox -> Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> General -> Browsing -> Use Smooth Scrolling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The point is that it is already smooth enough without this setting. ffi is right, Firefox, apparently only under Ubuntu, is plagued by poor performance in scrolling.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    The point is that it is already smooth enough without this setting. ffi is right, Firefox, apparently only under Ubuntu, is plagued by poor performance in scrolling.
    I rarely use Ubuntu on the desktop so I can't comment on the Firefox issue. For me, I usually don't have to tinker with the smooth scrolling feature in Firefox on most linux distros.