View Poll Results: AcerHK GUI

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't use the acerhk driver with my computer.

2 16.67%
  • Tried it, but it fails to run. I will post feedback.

5 41.67%
  • Tried it and it works, but I have some suggestions.

2 16.67%
  • Tried it, it works great and was just what I was looking for!

3 25.00%

Thread: AcerHK GUI -- GUI for users of the 'acerhk' driver to control wireless/bluetooth

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

AcerHK GUI -- GUI for users of the 'acerhk' driver to control wireless/bluetooth

ATTN: if you are looking for an appindicator for ubuntu that will give the basic functionality (on/off) as well as other things, check out the Displex project at https://sourceforge.net/p/displex

New Release -- v. 0.7.2
    Version 0.7.2 is BETA. OK. If you are an ACERHK user, this package is a huge step forward. The package SHOULD build the driver from source now _successfully_. The source code is included in the /usr/share/acerhkgui for the acerhk driver. PLEASE provide feedback... especially if it works for you. I have tried to test it as best as possible, to include removing the compiled driver and re-running, installing in various kernels that have been pushed, etc...

IF IT FAILS TO COMPILE,
    a. run 'acerhkgui' from a command prompt and see if that works. It will have much more messages.
    or
    b. run 'sudo /usr/share/acerhkgui/acerhk_install_acerhkgui.sh' from the command prompt.

Debian Package: AcerHK GUI 0.7.2 (beta)

RPM Package: Not released. Use Alien to create from deb. (what I do).

IF YOU JUST NEED THE DRIVER TO BE INSTALLED: Try this script.

If the link doesn't work above, go to the project page at SourceForge

[end of new release info]
    -------------------------------------------------

Please see last post of mine for latest information on the AcerhkGui
    If you don't need the acerhk driver installed (ie: using ubuntu before 9.10) or are using a 64-bit version of Linux, use AcerHK Gui 0.6 for present time -- thanks.

I have written a GUI interface to use in Linx to access and control the acerhk driver.

To me, this has been very helpful for the following reasons:
    a. Sometimes I want my wireless/Bluetooth radio off (IE: Plane)
    b. Bluetooth is not enabled by default on my ubuntu and there was no obvious way to enable it.
    c. I don't want Bluetooth on unless I am using it -- Rarely
    d. My buttones -- if they worked correctly on my computer with the acerhk driver -- aren't accessible when I am in tablet mode -- this gives a means to access both radio controls.

The acerhk driver is used primarily by older computers (Acers and other -- not limited to just acers. See: http://rfswitch.sourceforge.net for a list of laptops and what drivers they use).

There are packages available on sourceforge.net in .deb, .rpm, and .zip formats. I recommend the .deb as it is easier to install and includes an application launcher that goes to the Applications | System menu.

I would like to note that even though it will activate the hardware, the wireless LED will not light up unless you modify the /etc/modprobe.d/options file and change
    Code:
    options ipw2200 associate=0
    to
    Code:
    options ipw2200 associate=0 led=1
    My project is hosted at http://sourceforge.net/projects/acerhkgui/

I am looking for feedback on the functionality of both the program and the .deb file, so, if you are a user of the acerhk driver, I ask that you download my file and give it a whirl and send me some feedback.

Mine is an Acer Travelmate C300 Tablet with wifi and bluetooth in it. Newer Acers are using different drivers to control their hardware; however, like me, I am sure there are others that use this driver.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/acerhkgui/

A couple of years ago, through research (love Google!), I found out how to activate my bluetooth through the command line:

Code:
    echo "on" > /proc/driver/acerhk/blueled
    Honestly, that is quite a pain. I know there are those that have written scripts to automate this task and attached those scripts to the hot keys. But, for me, the acerhk driver doesn't seam to match my keys to the correct actions.

As I have been fascinated with wanting to learn to program and was thinking that Python was a good place to start, I started this as a Project to augment my learning. It is always best to learn by doing. It is a work in progress and I do hope to continue to expand its features for a bit as I learn more about the wonderful language Python.

I used python-wxglade to design the interface, inkscape for icon creation, and gedit for editing the files.

I look forward to the feedback from the wonderful Ubuntu and Open Source community!
    Last edited by arm-c; January 29th, 2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Updated information for New Release and link.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: AcerHK GUI -- GUI for users of the 'acerhk' driver to control wireless/bluetooth

Well, so far the .deb file for the project works fine. Still looking for feedback on functionality and such...

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: AcerHK GUI -- GUI for users of the 'acerhk' driver to control wireless/bluetooth

Probably not the right place for this; however, I have released a .rpm package file for this project since there are a good many distros based on that package manager.

The .rpm file has been tested and installs fine. If it doesn't work for you, read the help forum on http://sourceforge.net/project/acerhkgui

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well,

It doesn't look as though there have been any responses to the survey (probably because it requires login) or the posting.

Of course, that could be a good sign! Why? because people only respond when they have an issue with something for the most part. And to echo this in reality, I have had a response from one user who couldn't get it to work on their system -- but they weren't using the AcerHK driver, so the GUI would do nothing. Outside of that, it there have been none; however, I have had 60 .deb package dounloads fromt he site. That must mean it works.

Well, the next time I post to this thread, I hope to be posting about a release of the next version and feature of that version.

Thanks much to all who have downloaded it. Even more thanks if you are using it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

AcerHKgui v.0.3: The widely popular acerhk driver now has a GUI. The AcerHK GUI is a front end to the acerhk (Acer Hot Key) driver that enables certain buttons on the computer and an interface with wireless and bluetooth hardware. In some cases, the buttons are not associated properly -- if at all. The GUI provides an interface to the driver and enables user to activate and deactivate associated wireless and bluetooth hardware radios regardless of the button assignments.

In the first month, there were 84+ downloads of the AcerHK GUI from the sourceforge project page.

Enhancements in this release:
    General -- the primary changes are:

a. Incorporation of variables into the code and simplify customization for variations in instalation of the acerhkgui and acerhk software. This set the foundation for a future GUI configuration interface.

b. Enhanced feedback from the script to the Terminal when launched/ran from the terminal to facilitate trouble shooting.

- If the driver was found where expected.
    - Info from the acerhk driver

c. The acerhk driver information is now saved to the users home directory. (~/.acerhkdriverinfo.txt file). This is re-written each run of the program.

This release includes .deb, .rpm, and .zip (package manager independent) packages.

Feedback is welcome and encouraged. Any donations received are 100% passed on to other great organizations supporting the open source movement. Details on sourceforge at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/acerhkgui/
    Last edited by arm-c; March 7th, 2009 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Updated URL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Version 0.4 has been released. The GUI was converted to pyGTK and "trimmed" down to provide a cleaner and more professional look. The difference in colors is that I changed my theme between making the screen shots. The main window and preference window will follow a theme consistent with your Gnome theme.

Version 0.4 also added a preference button. This button provides access to enable users to do some limited configuration (in the future). Right now, it provides information from the driver:

The second tab now enables the user to select the path to the driver, but this is not persistent yet. Version 0.5 will enable persistent settings. Here is a screen shot of the driver path selection tab:

Well, please stay tuned, but the next feature to be implemented will be the persistent configuration settings in version 0.5.

Thanks loads to the one person who responded to my poll so far.